Explorer wheels :-) and :-(

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by buggman, Mar 10, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

[​IMG]

There ya go. Chrome center caps! I think if you decided not to polish the rim, then the chrome center caps would look better. And vise-versa

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

first off its not off a expo :p lol and second i say paint them inserts black and leave the rest polished

4. El Camino Man

Like this?

[​IMG]

5. OP
    buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

UPDATE with new pix!

Sanded:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polished & Painted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's one down, 3 more to go.

The pics don't do them justice... the black is so glossy it looks like it's wet.
    I've buffed this one out again to clean up some of the smudges too.

Went ahead & painted the center portion too, that little indent where you pry up on the center caps will show a little, so I just painted it all.

There are still some imperfections in the aluminum that I couldn't sand out, but they're not noticeable when you are at arms length. They're not as shiny as real chrome or professionally polished wheels, but they're more than good enough for my old truck :thumbsup:

6. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

looking good i been thinking of sanding the black off my rims and polishing them :p

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Holy **** they look amazing!!!

8. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

holy fawk dude those look great!!!

9. OP
    buggman

Not bad for the first time I've ever sanded & polished wheels, not to mention the first time I've painted any wheels.

Got 2 more sanded & polished today & just primed & painted the first couple coats on them, 2 or 3 more coats of paint then just one more to go :yes:

If I'm really lucky I'll get these bad boys mounted this weekend. :thumbsup:

10. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

Nice, man i have alot of experience with polishing wheels...im also into stanced cars aswell which polished wheels is first and foremost...if you are planning on leaving the wheels polished DO NOT clearcoat them....If you clear them the clear will start to yellow after a couple months and it will really make them look very dull. Your best bet is to not clear and just hit them with polish about once a week or once every 2 weeks and it will be well worth it in the end trust me!

11. El Camino Man

Looks awesome! I love the black over the grey! Good job man!!!

12. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Those look bad ass Terry. I can't wait to see those on the truck!!!

13. OP
    buggman

Good to know... I got 2 cans of wheel clear & I was thinking about clearing them, but I've been debating it... I might get one of those powerballs with the polish to keep them nice & shiny.

14. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

where did you find the rims at terry? and how much did you have to fork out for them????

15. El Camino Man

^^ I am also intrested lol

16. OP
    buggman

A couple years ago, my uncle bought an old wrecked expo for the motor & rear end for a rat rod he was building & he left the truck setting beside his shop. One day I was over there & asked him if I could grab a few parts & one thing led to another & I saw the wheels in the shop on one of his other project vehicles & had to have them.
    He's been using them for rolling chassis' around the shop & lately he had them on a 60's era dodge station wagon he's building for my little cousin.

I gave him a call the other day & asked if he still had 'em around & he said he just pulled them off & switched wheels on one of the projects.
    I'm gonna trade him my ranger wheels for the expo wheels. I'll re-mount his old tires on my rims for him & I'll know where my old wheels are if I should ever need them for anything :)

Couldn't have worked out better, I get some cool teardrop wheels & he gets my old wheels to use around the shop. It will probably cost less than $75 to get them all switched out, balanced & mounted. I also gave him my old ranger 60/40 seats to use in that wagon... they've been setting in my basement since I got the expo power seats installed (also came from his parts truck). :D

17. El Camino Man

18. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

Its crazy i just had a set for sale...and no one noticed them, now there gone and alot of people want a set of those wheels cuz of how good yours look!

19. Yeah, I kinda wish I kept mine and didn't sell em now... Maybe eventually I'll get another set and do them in gunmetal gray, sorta like El Camino's idea. And then maybe paint the teardrops the same color as my truck. I love em man!

20. El Camino Man

I know what ya mean lol. It takes only one person to make something cool then its popular lol. Like cab lights, and OHCs

21. dixie_boysles

dixie_boysles New Member

those look AWESOME!!!!!

what are you using to polish them? A Meguiar's Dynacone and All metal Polish does wonders