U joint replacement

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by 06FordFX4, May 14, 2013.

1. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Ok, so I am needing to replace my rear driveshafts rear u joint.

So I looked it up on napa's website. And there's about a million of "rear driveshaft rear u joint" listed. Each one has a different part number. How do I know which one I need? Will also be doing the front one as well. May as well while I have the driveshaft out.

If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll be buying brought napa, so if you are feeling super generous, you can look up exactly what I need hahha.

Thanks in advance. Need to do it ASAP.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I use Napa a lot, I think instead of using their website just go to the store and have them get the exacts. If they have the part in stock, run out to the truck and make sure its identical to whats on your truck.

If you can't get to a NAPA store, try Rockauto.com, They list specifics to your truck most have pictures of the part to compare

4. OP
    06FordFX4

Rock auto lists a bunch as well haha. It's weird.

Napa even let me get right to the trim level. FX4. And still a million different options.

Ill try and make it to one tomorrow. There's none close to my work though so I was gonna et my dad to grab some.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Brinker88 knows his stuff about them, hopefully he will chime in soon

6. OP
    06FordFX4

Painting the driveshaft won't be enough to throw it out of balance eh? Just 3 light coats of anti rust paint. I'm assuming not, but it doesn't hurt to ask opinions.

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Ford ranger rear driveshaft u-joint should be a 5-1330x

GreatScotts! likes this.
  8. OP
    06FordFX4

These damn 12mm bolts will be the end of me. Been hitting em with pb blaster for 5 days now. Still stupid tight. Can't budge em

9. OP
    06FordFX4

alright, i had a nice little write up and pictures done up, and my web browser crashed cause I had a million tabs open. so this time im just gonna dump all the pics and let you go HOLY FAWK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Diablo

Diablo New Member

I would say it was over due!

11. OP
    06FordFX4

ha yeah no kidding. no idea how the hell it stayed in tact...

12. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Yeah, 1330 joint. Go Spicer.

You couldn't hear that!?!?!??? I catch mine early because of their faint "chirp".

13. OP
    06FordFX4

Oh I heard it and felt it lol.

14. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

The rear driveline are the same size. The front (4x4) is different. I uses AutoZone, since it is lifetime warranty. I like to change it a couple of years as a routine maintenance.