brakes sticking on !!!

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by booman, Jul 2, 2012.

1. booman

booman New Member

Hi all !! i just joined this forum as i purchased a 02 ford ranger, very nice condition truck but it has a problem, after driving a few mile the front brakes lock up, the rear are ok. i replaced calipers with new items and replaced servo and master cylinder with second hand items but brakes still locking on, has anyone else come across this problem ??? any help would be appreciated, cheers :)

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Sounds like you have a bad caliper.

4. OP
    booman

booman New Member

hey, thanks for reply, i dont think its a caliper, even though new ones can be faulty, when the pressure dies down the brakes release i even disconnected the servo pipe and it still locking up. i took calipers of and bench tested them and seem ok !!!

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

How do you " bench test " a caliper? :blink: I always remove the caliper but keep it hooked up and have someone hit the brakes. See if it moves out and the moves back in.

6. OP
    booman

booman New Member

i made a device a few years ago out of a old brake set up which i welded to a small jig and used for testing bikes so i adapted it for trucks, seem to work well after a few tweaks !! I now thinking is it a temperature problem and something expanding in the housing ????

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

it could also be a brake line colapsing you may want to try and replace the flexible line and see if that helps

8. OP
    booman

booman New Member

cheers klinger86, i will source some pipes today and fingers crossed it will sort the problem, i l:)et you know later how i get on

9. OP
    booman

booman New Member

ford sent parts today !! but they wrong parts so better luck tomorrow :(

10. maranger

maranger New Member

replace your brake flexlines going to the caliper

11. OP
    booman

booman New Member

everything replaced, calipers, flexi lines, and servos !! decided to start again from scratch and found out master cylinder was at fault. so there you go even new parts can be faulty !!
    truck running nicely now, cheers for help all !!