04 front axle seal.

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by AGreager18, Oct 21, 2011.

1. AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

So I blew a front axle seal on my 04 4x4. Anybody have any advice or tips b4 I tackle this tmr.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Which one? The passenger side at the end of the axle tube on the diff?

4. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

Passenger side at the end of the tube right next to the rubber boot

5. Brinker88

Remove hub assy, cv shaft ( you might have to unbolt the upper control arm and swing your knuckle down out of the way), and replace seal....it's about a 1/2 hour job if you know what you're doing.

If you wanna swing down this way, I'll do it for you.

6. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

What a guy. Good luck gentlemen

7. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

Alright Thankyou. Think I'm gonna just try to do it here since the axle is actually pushed out with the seal due to (I think) a clogged breather cuz they were just replaced a month ago. Not sure my truck would make it up there at this point but I appreciate it.

8. Brinker88

Yea man no problem. It's what we're all here for.

Just ask Hooligan. I traveled 3 hours to get to his place. I did 2 hub assemblies, CV shafts, Upper control arms, lower balljoints, and that seal you're talking about for a case of beer and carpet for my interior.

9. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

wow aint you a nice guy lol. cant say i dont blame you tho thats what is good bout sites like this that if your close and have a big job to do some guys help when they can... good luck with the fix!!!

10. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

About to start it now as soon as some ******* moves their car so I can pull into my garage. I hate living in town. Lol

11. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

So I removed the breather hose first and was able to blow through it I then took a small metal rod and put it down through the nipple into the diff. I then re-attached the hose, loosened the fill plug and was able to blow air through the breather and feel it through the plug hole. So now I'm going to push the axle and seal back in and see if that does the trick.

12. Brinker88

It wont....replace the seal and be done with it. It MIGHT seal if you stick a little silicone around it before installing it again.

13. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

So I started at 3 and still working on it. The good news is I found out I needed new break pads lol