What engine oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Hooligan, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Like the title says, what do you use and why?

I myself switched from regular 5w30 to a synthetic blend to clean the sludge out then after 2 runs with synthetic blend I went full synthetic. It has special detergents to clean and prevent sludge build up and allows the engine to run a bit smoother in my experience.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

I use valvoline sae 30w I used to be called hpo 30w. I have never had a problem with it yet.

4. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

Motorcraft 5w 30. Made with it, sticking with it.

5. regular dino 5w-30 but next oil change will go full synthetic with a motorcraft filter

6. kozal01

kozal01 New Member

Mobil 1 full synthetic, motorcraft filter.

7. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I forgot to say what I use like a dumbass! I use Valvoline full synthetic also with a motorcraft filter

DUH!!!

8. GeorgiaRanger

GeorgiaRanger 4.Fast

MotorCraft 5w20 with a Motorcraft filter!!!! I use it cuz its ford!. Built Ford Tough

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Motorcraft 5w30 and motorcraft filter

10. OldCarFart

OldCarFart New Member

AMSOIL in all but high mile or leaky engines (i.e. my 205K chebby 1500 stepside), they get Wal-Mart 15W40.

11. john12121

john12121 New Member

Amsoils seems to perform very well.....By Switching to Amsoil Synthetic ATF oil your vehicle will get new lease on life..

12. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

what weight of valvoline synthetic you use hooligan?

13. ob269

ob269 New Member

I've been using 10w30. Thought about switching to 5w for the cold months we have coming up..

14. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

10w30 synthetic

15. Use just the walmart brand conventional. Cheaper, same as all the other conventionals. I want to upgrade to Royal Purple full synthetic, but have nowhere near the amount of money to do so.

(11/20) Now I switched over to Quaker State's Advanced Durability. So much better than conventional lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  16. EricFi1

EricFi1 New Member

I use Valvoline Synpower 5w-30, and usually a Motorcraft FL-1A, sometimes a Wix 51773 (which holds an extra 3/4 of a qt). I can extend my OCI a bit further if I want.
    Usually I change oil around 6000 (I can go further, but I get bored having oil in for so long). you just get that itch to change it.

17. racsan

racsan exceding the limits....

pennzoil 5w30 high milage. truck gets changed every 3,000 miles, wife's S-blazer gets the same oil but changed at every 5,000 miles. for filters the ranger gets a motorcraft fl1a, the blazer gets a a/c or fram filter.

18. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

19. 360Ranger

360Ranger USAF Veteran

5w20 Motorcraft in my DD, 0w20 Mobile 1 full synthetic in Wife's DD, and Valvoline 50w Racing Oil in my TOY!

20. 5w-30 full synthetic SuperTech

21. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

5-20 Mobile One w/ MotorCraft Filter
    3000 miles later change the filter and add oil as needed.
    At 6000 miles change oil and filter and start again.

By buying Mobile 1 on sale ahead of time your cost per oil change is less than conventional oil/filter.
    Do we need synthetics in the engine, NO but if the cost is there why not can save some of the regular crude for gasoline.
    Only problem running synthetics oil is on the trail and you need oil that you may or may not have stocked up on and taken with you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012