Very hard to shift manual?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Enduro, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Enduro

Enduro New Member

I have a 96 ranger, 2 wheel drive, 4 cyl, stick. Over the last month my stick shift has gotten harder and harder to move in and out of gears, 1st being the worst. Is there something I can lubricate? or is something worn?
    Thanks.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

have you checked your slave cylinder or even your clutch fluid level?

4. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

^^this

5. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

^^^ If it feels like its almost impossible to shift out of a gear your transmission is probably going to take some wear here. My car for instance was stuck in revers literally I had to pull with all my strength to get it out and guess what when I would go to back up you had to feather the clutch with alot of gas to get it to move or else it would be like your stalling or it would go back some stick then jump forward. Not a good sign hopefully yours wont get this bad.

6. DPG3

DPG3 Member

might need a new clutch. my truck would not like to shift, replaced the clutch it shifted fine. new clutches, when they wear out, stick more. not like the 60's where they slip.

7. OP
    Enduro

Enduro New Member

thanks guys. turns out the clutch / brake pedal bracket was broken which was not allowing the clutch pedal to push all the way to the floor.

8. ob269

ob269 New Member

Well thats good it wasn't a mechanical issue!