Truck needs a starter...

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Redneck_ranger, Mar 6, 2012.

1. So tomorrow afternoon, I gotta throw a starter on the truck. I managed to get it running today by rocking it back and forth a bit, and managed to catch it at the right point. Any problems I should be on the lookout for while I'm doing this? And if there isn't one already, I'll do a how-to on it as well.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

see if it was a stick you wouldnt have that problem.... roll start baby... lol with it being 4x4 i'm not sure what all would have to be moved to get the starter out and the new one back in....

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

The front driveshaft is just below it, but it shouldn't be in the way. And yeah, put her in neutral and pushed to start.

5. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

they battery may die after replacing the starter, that what happened to mine

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

My battery is four months old. I doubt it's gonna die.

7. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

get a good quality starter...not a cheap POS

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

$93 count as not cheap? lol

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

If it's remanufactured you're gonna have problems.

Should just be the nuts holding the 2 wires to the starter and then the studs holding the starter on. You MAY have to shim the starter on these newer trucks to get it to line up properly.

10. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Idk if it is or not. I used to put reman on the dakota and never had problems. But oh well. All my budget can work with for now. And that's wonderful that I may have to shim it. Lmao

11. hazard-maine

never had to shim mine

12. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Im just saying, I've had to do it on certain vehicles before. It's a PITA.

13. hazard-maine

only problem i had was the puzzle to get the f***in starter out and the new one in