Thinking of tinting the tail lights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by seriouscoin1, Mar 28, 2012.

1. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Hi guys. I am just looking for pictures of your tinted tail lights, and some tips. I really like the look that some of you have chose - where you tape off or cut out the tint where the reverse light is. I would like to find out how you did it. Either spray, or the plastic tint. Pics would be appreciated if possible. I have a 2004 edge that is black, and think it would look awesome:thumbup:. Thanks guys!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Spray paint called Nite shade does well. You just have to practice it before actually doing your tails. Do light coats...Other have done very well with it here, hopefully they will post some good pics

4. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Light coats, let it dry inbetween, and make sure its not too humid in the room you paint it in, otherwise the lights will look cloudy and wont have a shine

5. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

wet sand them too mine got spider web cracks. but thats probably because I did mine outside when the snow was flying

6. Mike, you applied it too heavily. My 3rd brake light spiderwebbed when I put the clear coat on.

Here's what I did mate, on a nice warm day I pulled em off, used Meguiar's plastx restoration kit, wiped em with alcohol and sprayed em. Use light coats or else it will get screwed up and you'll have dark spots and light spots. Nice sweeping motion, letting it dry before applying more. I did it to my buddy's Durango and to my Ranger. Here's some pics of what I did.

I didn't mask off the reverse lights because I added in auxiliary lights.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also did my corner marker lights as well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sprayed em with clear coat afterwards just so it makes it shine a little more. Then wait about two days, and take a buffer to em with some polishing compound and shine em up nice.

Good luck man! You'll love it

7. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Post some pics of your truck so we can see if it would look good or not! Some trucks don't look good with nite shade!!! But to each their own!

8. I think it will since the truck is black. Give it that "blacked out" appearance.

9. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Yeah but you don't want too much black on black!!!!

10. True. If he only puts one coat on, they'll still be red. They'll just have a smoked look to em.

11. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Not a Ranger but...

[​IMG]

This is what I traded for my Ranger... I miss it...

12. OP
    seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Thanks guys, they all look great. I dont think I will go completely black, just kinda smokey. I will post pics once done. I appreciate all the pics and tips!

13. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

I think youll like the smoked look too. One coat of the nite shade will look like a dirty tai llight, and two coats should give you the look you want!

14. Yeah, two light coats will do it. I put four light coats on and one a little heavier coat. Good luck man!

15. finn611

finn611 happiness is a warm gun

most places dont carry VHT nightshade anymore, but you can get rustolium lens tint just about anywhere, and personally i like the rustolium better.