Still having those wonderful front end problems...

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Redneck_ranger, Dec 26, 2011.

1. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I'm almost positive it's the pinion now. The U joints are solid, and there's no play at all in the hubs. So that's all I can think of....especially since it just started since the pinion seal went. And it's pouring out fluid, so it ain't no small leak.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Clinton wtf are you talking about not being Grave Digger? My trucks meant to be beaten. Then again, I've dropped some serious coin in this bitch to take the abuse. Also, I dont have that ****ty IFS :D

And RedRanger, Stop wasting our time with pointless questions you KNOW we cant answer because we arent there, and sell that POS ranger and get a decent TTB ranger (preferably a 3rd Gen) that isnt beaten, and BUILD the SOB before you go beating on it. :thumbsup:

4. pooleo

pooleo New Member

TTB FTW! Altho my 99 is pretty sweet with lock outs and IFS ::D

5. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

so you mean i cant take my damn near bone stock 2000 out an beat on it cuz i fuc ck sh it up on it? lmao

6. Brinker88

Im saying they arent designed to take as much abuse as a TTB ranger. If you wanna beat on your truck and keep the maintenance low, Take my fuc king advice.

Just saying.

7. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

haha who pissed you off??? lmao

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Fight nice now ladies.

I'm taking it to a garage today to have it checked out, and schedule an appointment to have it fixed. It's something with the 4wd, and I'm not messing with that. I'd rather have a professional do it.

9. pooleo

pooleo New Member

buy yourslef some KY :p

10. greenmachine2000

greenmachine2000 New Member

only you would say that lol

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Lmao. I'm pretty sure it's only a bearing or something in the diff. Nothing major

12. Brinker88

LMAO nothing major...that's at LEAST a $750 job.

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

For a pinion bearing?

14. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I just talked to a local garage. They said that even if they had to replace the entire rear, it would be under $500 to get it done, including labor. So it ain't as bad as you're telling me.

15. Brinker88

You're looking at $100 for a rebuild kit, 3 hours to tear it out, another 4 hours to rebuild the diff and another 3 hours to reinstall it. At MINIMUM $60/hr. So you're looking at $700 right there.

Im just warning you what you're getting into. I doubt they can fix that problem for anything less than that and be a reputable company. It just doesnt seem plausible.

They're going to tell you to replace the entire third member. That way they can keep labor costs down and not have to **** with setting up the gears. If they do go this way (which I can garuntee you they will ) make SURE they replace all the seals they can get to w/out tearing into the third member.

16. I figured this :

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  17. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Lmfao... Craig, this forum would be nothing without you lol The only thing is, I don't have the TTB setup, although that may not matter all that much.

18. Brinker88

It does matter....If it were a TTB setup, the diff can be pulled in about 1.5 hrs instead of 3 hours.

19. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I meant what's inside. Brad, the place I'm going to is cheap labor because they have so many customers. I can't even get it in to have it looked at until Monday. So they can afford to lower their labor rates. I really don't think it's going to be all of what you tell me pricewise... They told me that even if I did need the whole diff replaced, it would be under $500. And it's a private garage, not a chain.

20. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

**A little update** My dad went out to look at the front end, because there was a few foot long streak of gear oil coming from the diff. He told me that he could move the driveshaft around a little bit, but the u joint was fine. I never had the chance to take the truck to a garage this week because I had been battling a major fever, and my garage had been extremely busy. So it is going in on Monday. Anyone have a suggestion as to what it is, just so I can give the mechanic an idea of what it may be?

My amateur opinion would be the pinion bearings... That's what I've been told by others.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  21. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Okay, so took it in today, well my dad did... They pulled the diff open and said that everything inside had a lot of play in it. So he's probably just going to rebuild the diff entirely.