Speaker Wiring

Discussion in 'Audio Tech' started by Scrambler82, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Here are some questions that have been asked before and I think I have answers I like but wondering what the opinion around is.

When installing a new aftermarket stereo system, the one you paid all of the money for do you:

1) Run equal length speaker wires ?

2) Any gauge wire or is the gauge of the speaker wires dependent on the wattage of the amp and how do you determine the conversion between wattage and gauge of wire ?
    (Is this the same as electric wattage vs amperage vs gauge of wire)?

Thanks guys, it is always easy to install these things but getting it right is the problem for me.
    I don’t want to install a high end stereo/speakers and find out there is something wrong (that I have no idea about) !

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

It depends if you're just upgrading to a new radio or adding amps.

For a new radio only, adapters and the stock wiring should be fine.

If I were installing new speakers and an amp, I'd definitely upgrade the wiring. For highs + mids powered by less than 100w I'd use 18ga wire or heavier. For 100w or more I'd go with 14-16ga wire.
    For high wattage subs, I'd use at least 12ga up to 4ga depending on the amps wattage.
    It never hurts to use larger wire than needed, even if its just with stock speakers.. That way you can add an amp later and not need to re-run wires again.

Unless you have super audiophile hearing, the length of wires shouldn't make a difference in timing.

4. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

If your doing new amp, cd player, and a sub then say your amp is a 600 watt right you would have to buy the wiring kit at walmart or so that says it is for a 600 watt system. Now the size of your power wire, speaker and such really doesnt matter, but bigger is always better. But to find the right gauge wire you would do the second thing you listed.

Id give you the complete formula, but I dont have my books around me at the moment.

5. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Thanks, helpful.

6. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

What I have done is buy the suggested wiring kit.
    Not sure of the exact gauge size but will post went I open the kit.

Also, bought the wiring kit for the power based on the amp output.

7. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

8. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Ok on that... Ohm's Law !