Roll-In Bedliner, Removal and Re-Installation

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by gcextreme, Aug 4, 2013.

1. gcextreme

gcextreme GCEXTREME Vendor

Ok.....Started on Friday, removing my old herculiner roll-in bed liner....to start fresh, and also do my rocker panels in red..

i first did my bed of my truck with Herculiner back in summer 2004.
    I did not prep enuff..i didnt sand down it enuff and after many years of use...it began to fade odut and peel in areas.

Starting today...i am removing all the herculiner off the bed....and going to reapply it correctly and thicker!!

Removed my fender flares..and rusty gas door

[​IMG]

Removed tailgate and rear bumper..

[​IMG]

After about an hour of an angle grinder and wire brush on it..

[​IMG]

This is a reminder...when doing the DIY bedliners make sure u sand and prep...do it well...or else...

Not sure if i will get this completed by sunday or not..lol..lot of work..

----------

Ok a few hours later and a trip to town on the motorcycle to get more Acetone and another wire brush...this time a knotted wire brush...seems to work alot better..

[​IMG]

----------

Im not going to remove the bedliner on the bed rails...when i did those 2 yrs ago i did those the right way...plenty of prep...

I do have one thin rust spot and a hole on the bed by the drivers fender wheel well...
    Not sure if i want to just roll the bed liner over it or weld and fill it in...
    [​IMG]

----------

This was painful...not easy to do..cut out the spot.

[​IMG]

----------

New piece to weld in..made two so i have one to test on..lol.

[​IMG]

----------

Ok im not use to this crappy flux core welding...i didnt do a professional looking job...and its hard to get up in those ridges and grind...but i think it will be fine once it gets several layers of bedliner on it...

[​IMG]

Ok now i gotta get back to removing the old bedliner off the front part of the bed....

----------

The tailgate and bed are done, I'm taking the truck to the car wash to wash them off.
    When i get back i will start prepping the rocker panel sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------

Ok i got the 1st coat onto the bed, bed caps, and tailgate...
    They say one gallon is enuff to do one 6foot bed....yeah maybe two light coats...
    Ive used 3/4 of one gallon..thankfully i planned ahead for going thick, so i have two gallons.

Going to start sanding down the rocker panels for the red Durabak brand bedliner while the black first coat dries..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

Got the side panels prepped..

[​IMG][​IMG]

----------

Got the first coat on the rocker panels and fender flare areas..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

Ive got two coats on everything...i have maybe 1/4 or a tad more of the red textured stuff...i still have a gallon of the smooth stuff...and i have one full gallon of the black herculiner.
    Im going to let this dry over night...and if it is sunny out tomorrow i will go thru the other gallon of black..just in the bed....i want it to be THICK!!

I might use the smooth stuff on my front grill surround..wonder how well it will stick to that plastic.

Also...later on i will prep my step tube bars for the black herculiner too..

----------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------

Oh i also threw some black herculiner onto my hitch.

And tomorrow i still have to do the bottom lip of the tailgate in the red too...

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

looks good

4. OP
    gcextreme

Thanks
    ---------
    Ok today, i got another good coat on the bed.
    Did the bottom lip of the bumper in red.

Also did black herculiner on the front valence and rear bumper plastic top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

lookin good!
    Im gonna bedliner my bed before too long too.
    definitely going to remove all the layers of paint beforehand to get a good bond the first time.

where did you find the colored liner?

6. OP
    gcextreme

The colored bedliner is a brand called DURABAK, very similar to the Herculiner.
    There are other brands that also provide tons more color options, Scorpion Liner, Monstaliner, and Raptorliner.

Also Durabak also has SMOOTH stuff...without the textured rubber in it....i have a gallon of that too....going to use it for some other projects.

------

I just did a thick coat on the tube steps and my gas tank skid plate.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    gcextreme

Got the tail lights and rear bumper back on.

[​IMG]

----------

Front bumper valence done..

[​IMG]

----------

Got the tube steps back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will have to put the gas tank skid on later...gotta get bolts for it

8. dukerange

dukerange New Member

Looks good, and it makes your rig more off-road looking. And I agree with you that prep is the key to have the best and long lasting result when using DIY bedliner.

9. OP
    gcextreme

Had enuff black herculiner to do another coat on the bed rails and also did my tailgate and door handles..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While i was at it...i put my red bedlined gas tank skid plate on.
    [​IMG]

10. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

Great write up and it looks great!

11. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Thanks for posting this up....

I've been EXTREMELY disappointed with my DurpliColor Bed Armor roll-in kit ever since the moment I laid the first coat on last summer. The texture is very spotty and completely not uniform. Today I stripped off my headache rack, rail caps, tailgate cap, tool chest, and bed mat in preparation of my own re-do....this time using Herculiner. I plan on going on top of the Bed Armor because I prepped like crazy when I first did it. I also plan on coating the caps with SEM trim paint as well as a possibly headache rack re-coat.

Thanks for posting this and inspiring me to DO WORK!

12. OP
    gcextreme

Yeah the Dupli-Color bedliner sucks....

make sure when doing the herculiner, keep it stirred....get one of them stirring things you stick in a drill.....just remember keep it stirred!!! and it will come out pretty even..

13. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Yep! I kept her stirred up with a stir stick every time I dumped a load into the paint tray. Got her done today....used up the full gallon with two coats on the floor and three on the tailgate and sides (I run a bed mat so on the floor wasn't as important to me). But I do need to pick up a quart to take care of the bottom half of my in-bed chest. I always worry about chipping the powder coat on the bottom.

I've used the old Dupli-Color product called "Truck Bed Coating" in rattle can form on my valence and flares and was very satisfied with the results. The only reason I gave Bed Armor roll-on a shot was because it ended up being about $30 after discounts and rebates. Otherwise I wouldn't have done anything. Now that I've done Herculiner, OMG wow the results!!! Love it! Ends up being $75 after rebate and work discount. The savings paid for the expensive SEM Trim Black paint and PPG Wax & Grease remover for the now re-done bedrail caps and tailgate cap.

Again...appreciate you inspiring me putting in a full day of truck work!

And since we all enjoy pics...

DOING WORK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A reminder of why Bed Armor is complete garbage! Even when mixed excessively....still very very spotty and clumpy.
    [​IMG]

And some other new goings on with the truck today...LED's....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  14. OP
    gcextreme

Yes its alot of work...but the end results are so rewarding!!

Also where are ur fender flares???

Herculiner around here is $69 to 79, depending on where u go. And sometimes theres a $20 mail in rebate..

And the best thing about it is....you can always wash it and clean it, and then just re-apply more!!! As long as your first coat is done right and you did good prep work.
    The stuff will bond to itself, older dried stuff, but it doesn't do any good if the first coat isn't adhered because of lack of prepping...

15. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Yeahhhhhh about those....

So funny story. I was on a 3.5hr road trip that I used to do weekly a couple years ago. 90*F, no A/C so all windows down cruising at 75-80. BANG! Pass mirror folded in. I thought I hit a bird or something...no biggie, I'll fix it when I fuel up in 20 mi or so. In short, front pass flew off, hit mirror, folded it in, scratched my bedside, kissed the rear pass flare, threw it off too.

Needless to say, I did look for them on my way back south. I saw one.....well part of one. lol.

Actually found and picked up a full set of 01-05 replacements just last weekend for a VERY reasonable price. Still playing around with finishes and what not. Might acquire a new valence as well....start fresh on stock exterior plastics. I'm probably going to shoot 'em this time around out of the gun. But this time, I'll fully secure them with more than just the fender clips. This is my third pass front flare. lol.