replacing spark plugs

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by mcdonald58, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im going to replace the spark plugs on my truck. ive heard that motorcraft are the only brand that works well with rangers. i figured i might as well do the wires also. do you guys have any tips on doing this. also any particular plug that are recommended?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I would stick with the motorcraft plugs, checked Advancedauto.com, sometimes they are on sale or have good rebates.

4. Motorcraft/Autolite plugs, and Autolite professional 8.5mm wires.

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks man ill head over to autozone tomorrow to get spark plugs,wires, fuel filter, maf cleaner. any other things you guys recommend for a tune up

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i just got the new spark plugs in with the wires took me and friend about 5 hours with a dinner break inbetween. we had one hell of a time getting to the right side of spark plugs. one socket got stuck took us a half hour getting that off. thanks a lot for your help guys i got motorcraft spark plugs and autolite wires.

7. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Ya I did the spark plugs and wires and I was shocked at how long that passenger side took... I was angry by the end lol.

8. The passenger side was easy for me. It was all the **** that was on the driver's side that slowed me down.

9. Oh wait, you have 8 plugs and wires to replace though, right?

10. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Me, or OP? I only have 6, but the dummy before didnt put any of the lube stuff on it so it felt like the plugs were welded on :(. It was a pain getting my hand up there and pulling that hard on it. Cuttin em all up and shizz.

11. The OP. I noticed he had the 2.3L lol

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yup i had 8 plugs to replace. i was so annoyed when the guy at advanced auto parts told me. since i had to pay twice the amount i wanted to. some of the plugs were in spots nearly impossible to get to. we had a scare when i messed up and put them back on the wrong spot. but now the truck is running great. i hope my mpg is better.

13. It should be a little better, I noticed mine gained about 1-2 mpg difference

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im trying to get close to 20 right now i have 12. i want at least 15. i still had the factory plugs and wires. also my spark plugs were looking good. i have a feeling everything under the hood is original except for the air filter i had done.

15. Air intake will gain you a few, and exhaust will too.

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea thanks once i get out of school and start making more money ill start replacing those things.

17. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

You mean Dioe electric greese. lol I try my hardest to tell my customers that **** ant no myth.

18. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Haha ya it really helps!

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

after doing this my truck idles roughly. more rough than it did before i replaced the plugs. i talked to my friend and he said its because its not tuned to the new plugs. im thinking of having it taken to my mechanic and having him do it and gap the plugs.