Random misfire.. happens after getting gas

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Suzie, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Suzie

Suzie New Member

HI Everyone, I hope you can help. I have a 2011, 6 Cylinder, 4x4 and have been chasing a P302 misfire code. So far I have ( my mechanic..), changed the plugs, got new wires, got a new coil, switched around the injectors, changed the fuel filter , did the smoke test with no problems, and got a new battery (probably not related). However, I am noticing a pattern, that last three times after trying something else... the service engine light comes on after I fill up the gas tank. It starts up just fine after the fill up, but the next morning throws the code, could it be the purge valve? It has never ran rough but I would like to trust my truck again, plus I have 211,000 miles so I hate spending the $$. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Me too, I hate seeing people throwing $$$ at their truck. These engine are really picky when come to spark plug, make sure you use ORIGINAL FORD MOTORCRAFT spark plugs. Anything else will give you hell. The part number should be in front of the radiator. Just DO NOT buy it from eBay or Amazon, cause most of the time it is NOT Motorcraft. Local AutoZone or CarQuest will have the same spark plugs from Ford Stealership.