P0453 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Michelle, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hello all, I am just asking for any information anyone might have. I used to be on a Ford forum years ago but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual transmission. (I believe it's a 2.3 litre)

Here's my question, last week I noticed while running errands that my idol seemed to be a little rough.. then I had to head to work. When leaving work, my truck did start but then sputtered and died. That's all it will do. It's still parked at my work. I borrowed a friend's scanner for the check engine light, which by the way wasn't on and hadn't been forever and ever. But it was on now.

This is the code I got:

P0453 Evaporative emission system pressure sensor / Switch high input

What I'm asking is if anyone has had this code and if so does it require further diagnosing or does that code mean one specific part that needs to be changed out or whatever the case may be? All I'm getting is the run around from auto shops, and when I look it up online??? Every link I go to says something different. Obviously my truck is not running at all so it will require a tow first then the diagnostics, then the repair. I can't even get a ball park figure from anyone on how much this will cost me to fix. My truck has no other issues. Most recently about a year ago I had to have a new clutch put in. Other than that I haven't had to spend a dime in forever on repairs.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get it fixed or start shopping for a newer vehicle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm not rich and I'll have to plan how I pay for this.

I know nothing about mechanics. However I do keep up on tune ups and oil changes.

I love Ford and this is my 2nd ranger. If I do buy another vehicle it'll be a Ford, preferably a 4 door truck. Thanks for listening!