OD Problems

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by matteyp, Jun 4, 2012.

1. matteyp

matteyp New Member

Just picked up a 89 ford ranger 4x4 2.6 v6 auto. I know theres issues with the OD in these vehicles so I just want some input. My truck for some reason will not go into OD at all. When I start the car I have to pull the shift lever quickly down into drive otherwise its almost like it gets stuck in neutral. If for some reason I dont get the car into drive and the shift lever shifts to OD Im not able to drive the truck in any gear unless I turn it off put it in park and start it again. Is this a major transmission issue or can it be fixed easily? Also the truck isnt worth much but it is nice would this even be worth fixing? Can I drive the truck in Drive on the freeway cuz it seems like the rpms are pretty high when I took on the freeway the other day. Thanks for the input

Matt
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    matteyp

matteyp New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. what tranny do you have, on the 5r55e there like 5-6 solenoids on the valve body that can cause problems and a there is a small screen that could also be blocked in the valve body, sounds like at least drop the tranny pan and look at the valve body then new fluid

5. OP
    matteyp

matteyp New Member

The truck is an 89 4x4 xlt auto