My 5th and Reverse not working

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by 90RedRanger, May 29, 2023.

1. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

Yesterday I went to shift to 5th and it had a hard time going into gear. I tried again and same thing it needed a harder push to go into gear. I figured it was a minor problem until I got home and tried to go into reverse.
    I doesn't stay in reverse. It pops out and even if I try to hold it with force it will not stay in reverse. It sounds like a transmission overhaul unless someone has a used one or if it can be repaired. I can't afford a rebuild so a used one will have to do. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Tony

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. John DeWitt

John DeWitt New Member

Sound like your throw out bearing, pilot bearing &/or synchronizers have gone beyond their working tolerances. Had this issue with my 89' B2, unfortunately replacing just one of these likely won't see you through as generally when one is failing it tends to stress the other components out as well. A used transmission is of course a moderate level difficult fix, but a rebuild is the best option as you know what your using is likely not going to fail anytime soon if rebuilt right.