Looking for a 4.0....

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by RangerMan88, Dec 27, 2011.

1. RangerMan88

RangerMan88 RangA RolliN

Well, I have oil getting to one of my spark plugs, I was hoping it was just the valve seals.. It was not, so Im led to believe it is a busted ring? The one that is getting oil previously had a plug that the porcelyn cracked on, maybe that caused the problem, so basically Im gunna start looking for a used 4.0 motor...

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

hell ya

4. OP
    RangerMan88

RangerMan88 RangA RolliN

found one with 65k for 1350

5. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

awesome

6. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

7. OP
    RangerMan88

RangerMan88 RangA RolliN

I wish i could put the 4.6 thats in the new F150s

8. OP
    RangerMan88

RangerMan88 RangA RolliN

What do you guys think, should I just rebuild my engine knowing how its been maintained and all, or Go for a used one with less miles, and put that in?

It will end up costing right around the same amount..

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You might have a cracked valve bro. I would tear into the motor first. The lower ends of these trucks have been known for their brutal strength. I would assume it has something to do with your heads.

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

this and if you tear in to it it's basically gonna be a fresh motor if you replace everything....

11. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Yea as long as your blocks or heads arent cracked, its kinda pointless to buy a new motor. You cant drive it anyways.

Just have a machine shop hone the cyl. walls and buy new pistons, have your crank turned, heads magnafluxed and your valves angled, slap it back together and you're good to go!

12. OP
    RangerMan88

RangerMan88 RangA RolliN

Thanks for all the Input Guys!

As of now I ag it, the mechanic told me I could until it just craps out.. But I feel better if I would get it replaced before an upcoming meet a few hundred miles away. Which is in April and I would be doing the week leading up to it..Our belief is that it is a ring in the bottom of the cylinder? that is cracked, so it will have tobe fixed, I think Im just gunna have mine fixed..

13. nicksranger01

nicksranger01 New Member

too bad you ain't closer to iowa, i just found a 03 fx4 with 60,000 miles in the junkyard, with a good motor, may not have a transfer case or trans here soon if i can afford to pick them up, but a running motor

14. illinoisranger

illinoisranger army strong

i just bought a used 4.0 with 86k on it for 400 bucks from my bro in law (owns a junk yard in town) to replace my 3.0 with 97k is there any problems i can expect or wil it fit right in any help would be very appreciated

15. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

I didnt read any of the posts before, but buy the other engine and keep yours and work on it little by little and re sell it or keep it.