List all the common ford ranger problems here

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Diabolical Ranger, Nov 4, 2011.

1. racsan

racsan exceding the limits....

rear spring hangers, and it isnt just the ranger chassis, bronco, older F-series too, dont know about the super-duty or the '97-current F150,shifter bushings in the manual trans are plastic and eventually break apart, giving you a extremly sloppy shifter.(nothing a hurst wont cure though, ha ha). front core support rusts badly near the bottom, steel flange washers on the front core support mounts rot away. (but my ranger is also approaching 20 years old, guess it should be showing its age) all in all, there a pretty tough truck.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. HUB ASSEMBLIES!!!!!!!! Mine wear out every three months religiously lol

4. Fordzilla80

Fordzilla80 Eat Bacon, Drive Rangers.

The Transmission Valve Body gaskets and separator plate are known for causing issues in the 4R44E-5R55E transmissions.

Oh, and THE most important one of all,

Ignorant shade-tree mechanics who should never be allowed to touch a vehicle.

5. the plastic thermostat housing on the 4.0

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good thread revival Shaun

7. Fordzilla80

Fordzilla80 Eat Bacon, Drive Rangers.

I just couldn't believe nobody mentioned the transmission or poor mechanic issues, so I had to bump it. :D

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Nice!!

9. Eh, not sure if it's a common problem, but both my pinion seals went on me within a few months of each other. As mentioned before, the gooseneck, and also the throttle cable tension. I'm sure they've been touched apon before.

10. smmayer92

smmayer92 New Member

throttle cables stretching ( simple fix is the zip tie mod) another is the 3.0 chirp of death( cam syncronizer) very simple repair I did it to my 3.0 in the driveway.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  11. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Headlight, 4x4 & fog switch bulbs burn out way too soon.

Multifunction switch (turn signals/wipers) suddenly decide to work whenever THEY want to.

GEM causes interior lights, wipers & turn signal issues.

12. flaresidexlt

flaresidexlt officer meoff,jack

E- brake light staying on/////////////// E-brake cable stretching///////poor master cylinder

13. This could also be caused by a body lift. It causes the e-brake cable to pull on the brakes, causing the light to stay on.

14. Uhhhh, the fog light sockets are an issue. They like to melt and can become very finnicky after a few years

15. flaresidexlt

flaresidexlt officer meoff,jack

no lift , as i always say i have no reason to "complicate" with a lift

16. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

I dont know if anyone mentioned this minor issue but having the door ajar light even though you think you closed the door properly but really you need to slam the rear doors shut or else if it will come on when you hit bumps or just stay on period no matter how often you try to close the front doors.

17. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

thats a common sensor problem.

18. TomN

TomN RANGER!!!

Ball Jointssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Fords auto lockout hubs suck too.

19. zman7125

zman7125 "Give Her the Biscuits"

Intake gaskets on 4.0L OHV, 93-97 Filler neck cracking at the clamp

20. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

^That's a definite