lift questions

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by mcdonald58, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ive been thinking about lifting up my truck some how ever since i got it. i recently replaced all my shocks with ranchos that are good up to a 1.5 in lift. one of my questions is if i put in a 3 in body lift would i have to get new shocks? im debating between getting a leveling coils that i found from rough country http://www.roughcountry.com/ford_2wd_83-97_midsize_leveling.html. if i wanted to raise the rear i would throw in some lift blocks. which of these is easiest to do? also how would a 1.5 in lift kit impact my mileage since mine is terrible. and how would a 3 in body lift impact my mileage? i would be doingn this mainly for looks since my truck is 2wd and any offroading i would do would be light trial rides. thanks for any help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Why offload or lift a 2wd in my opinion gas mileage isn't really going to hurt you it's all on how you drive you may lose 1mpg at the most for a 3" lift and that's if you max your tire size out

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Body lifts just move the body higher off the frame so you will not need shocks. Some of the best research I have done for lifts was on eBay and summit racing.com. The rear can just be raised by lift shackles (replaces stock shackles) and run about 80.00 for a good set. If you put bigger tires on that will affect your gas mileage for sure but just adding a body lift will have little affect on mpg's

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

awesome glad to hear about the shocks i wouldnt get new tires till i need some new ones. which is going to be a while since we just got some back in october. how hard on body lifts to put on? could me and a couple of buddies who are more mechanically inclined than me be able to do it?

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah it's easy man. Help is always a good thing too. Air tools and a torch will make it go faster but are not necessary. Soak the body mount bolts every day with pb blaster for about three days before the lift so they are easier to remove

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i just read up on body lifts. they seem so easy to be. i might do this when ive got the bed off for the por 15. thanks for the help. i think ill go with the 1.5 in kit for now though. since it will replace my factory coils that are starting to rust a lot.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Awesome man. Good thinking!

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

would i be able to put the 1.5 in leveling kit in front and then do the 3 in body lift on top of that later on?

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yup, the 1.5 is for suspension and the BL is a whole seperate thing. With the BL, all it does is lift the body higher off the frame, has no affect on the suspension.

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright awesome thanks for the help. hopefully i learn how to swap coils in my class next year. now i get the difference between the two kinds of lifts thanks a lot hooligan.

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

should i get a steering stabilizer if i do the 1.5 in kit? and how about if i do the 1.5 leveling and 3 in body lift?