How To: Wetsand your headlights - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by mcdonald58, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

this how to is explaining how to wetsand your headlights. this is an effective and cheap way to get oxidation of your headlights and restore them. i payed $15 for all materials. heres the material list:
    1. 800-1200 grit sand paper
    2. cup of water
    3. meguiars plast x
    4. buffing pad
    5. painting tape
    6. cloth
    View attachment 1761
    let the sandpaper soak in the water for about a minute before starting.
    tape off around your head light the plast x can make a mess on your paint.
    View attachment 1762
    start wetsanding your headlight. make sure you have moisture on the sand paper at all times. i went in a grid pattern to make sure i did everything evenly. wipe off the water occasionally so you can see your progress.
    View attachment 1763
    start applying the palst x using the buffing pad. i again went in the same grid pattern wiping off the extra plast x after each pass. i did three passes until i was done.
    before:
    View attachment 1759
    after:
    View attachment 1764
    the more work you put into this the better results you will get. it took me about a half hour to do this job completely. i did three wetsands and three polishes on each headlight and i think i got good results.

i couldnt figure out how to delter the three pictures at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 03crewcab

03crewcab Real Trucks Rattle

Great write up, man. I plan on doing this to my Ranger this weekend. Headlights are really foggy and yellow.

4. Diablo

Diablo New Member

nice write up, I have also used " clear coat" after the wetsanding was done and water all dried.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Great write up!

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thanks guys. i notice a difference between appearance and functionality of my headlights. clinton- can you see if you can delete those three pics as the bottom? i couldnt figure out how to.

7. 03crewcab

Is the light output better now that the headlights are sanded/polished? I did mine last Sunday and light output is brighter now. I won't say it's 100x better, but it's better than before. After sanding, I polished the headlights twice and they look good. One more coat, and they'll look almost perfect.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Yea it improved a little bit nothing dramatic though. My new bulbs are what made the difference.

9. 03crewcab

Cool. Yeah I plan on getting better bulbs as well. I used to have some aux lights but sold them, so the extra light is needed when driving on back roads at night.