crank position sensor????

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by rangerlady, Jan 19, 2011.

1. rangerlady

rangerlady New Member

i have a 96 2.3l 4 cyl. i just replaced the timing belt and now the truck wont start. I had everthing lined up the way it was suppose to be. could the sensor be the problem? Is there an easier way to change it besides pulling the water pump and alternator and all that good stuff?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

why did you change the belt... did it run before..?

4. OP
    rangerlady

rangerlady New Member

i had to change the belt because it broke while i was driving it. How ever I did get everything back together, finally after i lined up the right marks, after scrubbing the crap out of the pulley to see the right marks, it fired right up. Now after a week of driving it and it running fine, the stupid thing will start up but then choke out after a few seconds. :cry:.

5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

fuel filter?? maybe ... we got some new guys here they might be more help than me?

6. Stephen.G.Fiddes

Stephen.G.Fiddes T-Bar Guru

Could be a number of things.

Fuel Filter
    Cats plugged
    O2 Sensors,
    MAF sensor
    Sparks (altho if you're smart enough to replace a timing chain, you're smart enough to check your sparks every so often)
    Vacuum hose leak

Now, are you sure that the engine is choking itself out, instead of something else?

Has your CEL turned on?

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thread moved to the new 2.3 engine tech section