Cold air intake

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by skip428, Apr 11, 2012.

1. skip428

skip428 New Member

Have a 94 ranger and I want to put a cold air intake in but I don't know what to do with the vacuum hoses any one out there know what to do

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

First you need a sig telling us which engine you have. Second, Cold air intakes dont really do anything, so save your money

4. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

But if I still want to put one on there what would I do. What info do you need

5. Engine size. (4.0, 3.0, 2.5, etc...)

6. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

6 cylinder 4.0

7. Ah, okay. There should only be one hose then. What intake were you looking at? On mine, it has a rubber sleeve with hose clamps that attaches to a nip on the intake tube.

8. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

I havent really looked yet because I didnt know if it would work but I have been told to stay away from K&N

9. They're good intakes, but AEM (which is a sister of K&N) has a dry-flow filter. No oils needed. I have the Brute Force in mine. I'll snap a few pics if you don't mind waiting a sec

10. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

I was told to stay away from KN but I don't know a different one

11. AEM Brute Force is the one I have. Not an official "cold air intake", but it's way better than the stock one.

12. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

So what do I do with the two hoses that come off the back of the intake system

13. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

I will put a picture up so you can see

14. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

His is the OHV Pete, Not the SOHC like yours

15. Oh, okay then lol Guess my pics won't be of assistance then.

16. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

17. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I had the same hoses on my 93, but no CAI. I did some research on it just now. Everyone pretty much says do not do it for the fact of it sucking in hot air from the engine. The one person I saw do it, just plugged up the hoses, and I dont recommend that. Take a look at this link
    http://ford40.com/airbox.shtml, This is a How to on modifying your own airbox into a CAI.

18. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

K&N's are good intakes/filters. Only issue I had was when I had my RX-8 and the compression issue came up and they tried to blame it on my K&N. Saying it sucked oil through and messed up my MAF. Wanted me to pay for a new $400 MAF and filter...

19. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

So you said had one hose how did you work it into your system

20. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

CAI's don't do anything by themselves. In order to take full advantage of your CAI, you want to get a new exhaust and then get a tuner and get a custom tune for the your exhaust and CAI. Also adding/changing other engine components will. help. But I agree with Clinton, save your money because by the time you've got everything you need, you've spent a boat load of money.

Also, CAI's don't work well on our trucks because of the way they are set up. Where the air comes in takes on heat from the engine, which defeats the purpose.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  21. OP
    skip428

skip428 New Member

Do you have one on yours