Clicking/rattling noise from engine when and after being off road

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Redneck_ranger, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Alright, so I noticed an extremely fast ticking/clicking/rattling noise coming from the engine almost every time I go off road. I think that something is either loose, or not supported right... But it only happens when the engine gets a little wet. Not soaked, just some water splashes in when I go through mud and puddles. Any guesses?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

The gnomes are pissed off bc you got them wet. Dumb $hit,everyone knows this

Lol...Have you tried opening the hood and locating the sound yourself instead of asking someone 1000 mi. away what they think it MIGHT be? :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

The what? Lmao

5. Brinker88

*Knomes!!!

[​IMG]

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Ain't it GNOMES? xD

7. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

And yes, I have. Hence why I put it up here. I usually looks for it first. I thought it was the fan shroud hitting the fan before, but turns out it wasn't.

8. actually it's the gremlins that get pissed when they get wet :jester:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Oh god... This thread's gone to hell. Lmao

10. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

its the mud gods telling you to stay out of the mud!!!!!!! it just might be you AC pully mine will do it every now and then

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It ain't gonna happen lol It ain't the AC pulley. This does it constantly afterwards.

12. Captured Time

see mine will do it all the time after it gets wet and its the fly pully that dose it

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Fly pulley...?

14. Captured Time

yup inside the AC pully

15. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Oh, the little one that spins on the inside. Nah, it ain't nothing on top. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side anyways. So I don't think it would be that. But I'll check again and look for it next time I go out.

16. Brinker88

Maybe your tensioner is losing it's tension/wearing out just enough so that when it gets wet/muddy, it slips?

17. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Would that make the clicking noise I'm hearing? I mean, I do sometimes lose my steering when the belt gets wet. But how would the tensioner be making the noise?

18. RiverRanger22

RiverRanger22 Member

I think it's the tensioner cuz mine started to make the same clicking rattling noise today and it sounded like it came out the passenger side. Just start the engine and if it doesn't start rattling right away rev up your engine a few times and then let it idle, then you should hear it start rattling again. Then just pop the hood and check it out. Mine was movin back and forth during idle

19. RiverRanger22

RiverRanger22 Member

Wow sorry ignore this, OLD post!! Totally forgot about that