Bought 1989 Ranger 2.9L Temp gauge fluctuating alot, why?

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by mibson, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mibson

mibson New Member

89 2.9L ranger. 97, 000 miles. I bought it recently and had a massive leak from the water pump. I had never done any work on a vehicle but decided its time to learn.

I did drive about 4-5 miles with almost no rad fluid (by accident) before I noticed the leak - perhaps I fried the temp sending unit? It was negative 10 C that day (14 F), I hope there is no serious engine damage...

Replaced water pump (after market prestone), thermostat (180F $8 aftermarket), replaced all hoses. Had to use Heli Coil from pervious owner stripping bolts. 300km on the road with no leaks. Then a drip leak in the rad started, used stop leak and it seems to have worked.

Truck runs fine, heater works fine (perhaps a little cooler than normal - but still very warm).

The temp gauge moves from cold up to the low end of normal and back to cold again, it does this over and over. What could be the problem?

People on another form thought:
    1) cheep 180F stat
    2) temp sending unit broken.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

Hi Mibson.
    It could be the radiator is clogged. The stop leak can work sometimes but it can clog the rad in some cases. I don't think it's the thermostat. The thing I would do next is to replace the temperature sending unit that controls the gauge. This is a lot cheaper than a radiator or other parts.
    :)

4. preranger

preranger New Member

You can pressure test the radiator and it should tell you if the radiator is clogged. Also, is the check engine light on? It could be an electrical gremlin

5. gdog1678

gdog1678 rangerdanger

ya, i would say air or clog in the radiator