Any good reason to unplug the AC compressor?

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Popranger, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Popranger

Popranger New Member

My son's '97 XLT has the 4.0 and AC. Just bought it a few days ago. I noticed the connection on top of the AC comp was unplugged. Is there some tricky advantage to doing this in winter, or was somebody just absent minded? I am just learning about this motor and Rangers, so I thought I should ask. There is a click noise about 20 seconds, just one click. My '86 Mustang 5.0 did that back when it was a few months old and a neighbor said the AC might be cycling on and off, but that was also during winter and I didn't have the AC switch on.

I've only seen the truck for like 3 minutes the day he bought it, so I don't even know if these have an electric fan on them? I thought maybe the click was an electric fan cycling???

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I have never heard of any reason to disconnect it other than it never worked and they felt the need to disconnect it

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Do NOT disconnect those hoses!!!! Have a professional garage discharge the system before doing so or toxic gasses will excape. You dont want Freon in your lungs/eyes, trust me.

5. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

I could see someone unplugging it simply to stop the AC from turning on when the heat is on( it is annoying lol)

6. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

ppl unplug it as a pathetic attempt to save gas ( it doesnt help)

7. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

my guess it probly a small leak somewhere so they unplugged it. i thought of unplugging it but it helps with the defrost settings but i hate when it comes on for PANEL/FLOOR setting.

sometimes to add HP i turn it off a a/c setting and let the ponies loose....lol

8. Appletonbill

Appletonbill New Member

Even if your a/c is not working it should be turned on once in a while to make sure the clutch and stuff don't freeze up.

9. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i think he means the electrical plug? only thing that will do is keep the compressor from engaging, it won't free up any hp (if any) under normal use unless the belt has been replaced to bypass that pulley

10. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Save gas maybe, doesn’t work maybe but when it is wet outside or early morning fogging of the windshield, you will wish it was hooked up.

It is an integral part of the defrost system.

11. pooleo

pooleo New Member

you'll want to plug it back in. I myself and my father both had pumps lock up, or the clutch anyhow, from unlugging it. it needs to kick on to keep things moving. If you want to by pass it, simply buy a belt for a truck with no AC

12. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Some folks disconnect the compressor switch when the compressor is junk/nearly seized up. One way to figure it out is to fire the truck up and connect the electrical connector. If she squeels and moans and groans like mad, we now know why it was disconnected. She's an expensive part to replace.

Two previous vehicles of mine were this way when I purchased them.

(it actually does help).

I've got a toggle switch interrupting the clutch switch that overrides the circuit. I've seen the difference in numbers on my truck. Ever drive your truck with the A/C on full bore? Notice the lack in power? That right there debunks your theory in disconnecting the clutch and it not helping economy.

In the winter time with the defrost on is where the most difference is seen. Don't really need compressor assistance for defrost. A/C don't get nice and nipple hardening cold without the compressor on. So switching it off is pointless for coldness. Result is muggy warm air. lol.