98 ranger 5.0 swap

Discussion in 'Other Engines' started by kanuck15, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Lol...A divorce set me back from getting my truck, so I'm only catching up!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

That will do it, my ranger is a way to take a break from my normal diesel projects

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats cool. Any chance of swapping a diesel engine in it?

5. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

In the ranger? Nah never. But my dad wants a 4bt in his 95 b4000

6. ob269

ob269 New Member

Make sure you do a thread on that one lol!!

7. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

It will never happen

In other news I got my trans cooler installed. Its probably overkill. A 35gvwr hayden cooler off my Powerstroke, but its what I had

[​IMG]

8. it sure cant hurt

9. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

That was the plan. I figure if I can keep it cool it will last so much longer

10. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

No real updates, been busy with work. Got the interior buttoned up and tonight the trans will be in. Then try to start it

11. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Oh hell yeah

12. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

5.0 LIVES! it sounds angry as fcuk too

13. ob269

ob269 New Member

Nice dude.. I wanna see it..

14. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Its not that impressive? lol. It looks like it does under the hood of an explorer.

On a sad note I have a fuel leak that kinda stops this dead in its tracks. So tomorrow I will get new injector o rings and redo it. Should be rather close to driving it after that

15. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

awesome job man.

16. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Thanks, Its not over yet. I still have a lot of little stuff to finish up and then the real fun starts. As much as stock will be fun I have this feeling 350rwhp will be more fun

17. cant wait to seeand hear the final works!!! good job man

18. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Well its got another fuel leak. I replaced the injector o ring but must not have seated an injector properly or something. This leak is way worse. I'm almost wondering if the system can handle the psi my pump puts out?

19. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Fixed the leak again. While replacing the first o ring I bugged the other 2 around it. So replaced them all and we are sealed.

BTW its running and driving now but with serious issues. Ive got a lot of tinkering to do with it but I will get there. Its running way rich and idk why

20. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Fixed two big issues in the past hour. First off my wire for the voltage regulator wasnt on well enough and the truck wasnt charging, Secondly the passenger side coil pack was unplugged..........hence the glowing cat full of unburnt fuel.

She runs nice now, Starts right up, purrs, but kinda bobbles after a minute, lopes and dies. Still want to do the 02 sensors tomorrow and see what they do for me

21. OP
    kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Put two new upstream 02 sensors in, as well as took the t stat out as it wasnt working. Made it a whole new truck. Idles pretty, runs well, the trans shifts funny but I think it needs a solenoid pack.

Overall impressions so far, Its a stock explorer motor in a ranger. Its better than my 3.0 but its not what I expected. Granted I am still working some bugs out and making it all happy together. As of right now its road worthy minus needing the hood back on. But its gonna sit for a while as I tinker with it

Just to see if it could

[​IMG]