4BT Ranger?

Discussion in 'Other Engines' started by El Camino Man, Apr 25, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hey guys! Iv been on YouTube a few times and admire those people who put a Cummins in their Ranger. I wanna do it! I LOVE my Ranger, but its a dog and a half. Not to mention when ya put a trailer behind it, youd better have plenty of time pulling into traffic. Iv been browsing diesel trucks but... theyre expensive. Since my truck is new, this wont be a "do it tomorrow" thing. Ill have every single duck in a row before I even begin to purchase stuff. Does anyone know anyone whos done this for some reference?

When I had my uncles truck, I popped the hood and took some measurements. Yea... no. I dunno how they do a 6 cylinder in these Rangers without a massive wallet and a whole lotta time.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Dude, Im doing it in mine, My best friend, who actually lives around the block from Hurley, has it in his truck. Hes in the middle of a SAS on it right now. Ill see if i can find some pictures on it.

on another note. this type of build is expensive, I think in the engine swap alone its like 7K

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. The Browning Ranger

The Browning Ranger Doinwhaticanwithwhatigot

4bt ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. OP
    El Camino Man

Iv spent a while reading another guys swap and he somehow got most of his parts wholesale... I guess it pays to know people lol. He is doin his on the cheap! He is doin it right and rebuilt the turbo and the whole 9 yards and I think hes spent around 3k. I checked ebay and a 4BT cost more than a 6BT. WTF?!

6. The Browning Ranger

The Browning Ranger Doinwhaticanwithwhatigot

They aint cheap, they had them in older bread trucks.

7. OP
    El Camino Man

If we ever decide to get rid of a UPS truck, I might put in a bid for one lol. Even though the reason we will prolly get rid of one is because of engine/tranny problems...

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Sell your Ranger, buy used newer diesel. They could be had for a little more than you paid for your Ranger. Buddy of mine picked up a 2008 F350 6.4L fully loaded Lariat crew cab long bed w/ 70k on the clock for 25k.

OR....sell Ranger, purchase old ranger(like an 01-03 for like $7000) and drop the 4BT in it. Along with the new trans, probably a late model chevy tcase, small upgrades on engine, intercooler, mandrel bent ic and exhaust tubing. Not to mention making everything work with the stock gauges or aftermarkets. Last but not least is meeting local emission regulations. Some states require an engine no older than the vehicle. Some facts about 4BT and 6BT/12v/24v/common rail: VERY pricey swap. You'd be an idiot to attempt such a swap on a year old vehicle. The 6cyl is SUPER LONG. Two cylinders probably have to be in the cab! lol.

Pipe dreams...

See also this: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

I was under the impression UPS scraps their retired trucks??

9. OP
    El Camino Man

They prolly do scrap em lol. Im not gonna do it tomorrow. Itll be a project down the road when the ol Rangers got enough miles to go to the moon and back lol.

And Iv noticed the newer diesels (6.4L) are goin for cheap? Not sure why but id like to have one. Only thing is, itd eat me up in diesel

10. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

the last time i swapped a diesel into something was when i had a 84 chevy and dropped a 353 detroit diesel into it, it was a bitch to do in a truck with engine bay space, and cost a pretty penny or two

11. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

I used to work on commercial trucks.
    most companies will lease their vehicles.
    At the end of the lease, they simply trade up to a newer model.
    The older trucks are often then sold off through auction to the public.
    Some companies will buy their vehicles, but to save money, will outfit them with drivetrains that about to go out of production.
    U-Haul was a good one for that.
    We had a truck called a TC when I worked there.
    Heavy duty '77-'80 Ford F-350 with a 330 Y-block hooked to an NP435 and an early Dana 60 rear end (remember the ones that used the nylon keepers to lock the bearing nuts? yeah, those).
    When those trucks are used up, they're also auctioned off.

Dean