40 series or Super 44?

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Redneck_ranger, May 12, 2012.

1. Okay, so I was out and about today and went to the auto parts store. Looked around, and Flowmasters caught my eye. They have both the original and the delta flow. I was then thinking about which muffler I want to get next. I love the original 40 series sound, and also the Super 44. I'm torn between the two. lol Opinions?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

need to hear my truck again? lol but i had both and i like the 44 a lot better

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Your truck is just an orgasm of the ears. Hahahaha. Freemans00 has the original 40 series on and it sounds so mean though.

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

thats because his 4.0 is a pushrod motor its gonna sound meaner than an OHC motor

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Well, after watching his video again and looking at the super 44 on youtube, I think I'm going 44. lol Gutting the cats and gonna run that with a side exit

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

The thread can remain open as long as the bickering stops

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Since the OP was so up and down telling us about 3 different mufflers but asking about one that wasn't mentioned earlier...

On the 4.0L SOHC, Super 44. Hands down. Deepest sounding muffler I've ran. And I've ran a Dynomax Ultra Flo, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, Magnaflow, Flowmaster Super 40, Flowmaster Delta 40, Flowmaster 40 original, and Flowmaster Super 44. Of them all, the Super 44 wins hands down. With a very close second being a Super 40. It provided good low deep sound, while not getting raspy like any 6cyl does...but she's loud when you get on her and mellowish at idle. With tailpipes on both the Super 44 and Super 40, the sound is AMAZING from the outside....say following your truck in another car. I've ran dumped, I've ran turndowns, I've ran single tailpipe, I've ran dual tailpipe. Resonance with the 44 and tailpipes isn't that bad...it's worst at about 2300-2500 rpm. It's no where near the annoyance of running anything dumped....esp dumped without a turndown. Currently she's 2.5" in/2.25" duals w/ a Super 44 dumped at the spare carrier.

If you were to buy the muffler, I suggest checking out Performance Peddler. They've got the cheapest online prices for Flowmasters. They can be found on their website as well as eBay.

Whenever there's an exhaust thread where I voice my opinion, I always suggest this: HAVE A FULL CUSTOM CAT-BACK BENT AND HUNG FOR YOU!!! Remove the factory choke spot behind the last cat and replace it with a 3-bolt flange. Pictured below is my 2.5/2.5 3-bolt flange.

[​IMG]