3rd Gen Xmission Issues

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Ryan Moore, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Ryan Moore

Ryan Moore New Member

Hello all, I have had my 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 V6 for almost 2 years now. Gr8 truck, for the most part, I would buy a newer one in a heartbeat.... 237,402 orig miles, minor, common problems here and there. SO, i was recently driving home from the west Utah desert and was approaching less than a mile to my destination off-ramp. When I slowed down to about 70 mph from 80 mph in 2WD, the normal downshift from OD seemed a lil to early. I sped up 5/7 mph and lost my OD gear, with the O/D OFF light blinking for a first time. Checked the Xmission fluid, nothing was out of the ordinary. Smell=good, Color=great, quantity=normal. Since then, no OD. OBDII reader @ OReilly gave me the code for Bad Torque Conv Solenoid. Changed that, drained the ECU power to reset, yet nothing changed in that area. [Cleared code]

Now, have a strange noise coming from front end, havent pinpointed the origin yet, and to avoid any noises I have to drive in 4WD mode. I have assumed now that a Xmission rebuild is an absolute. Questions? Comments are welcomed. Thx