2002 with very low miles

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Devin Johnson, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Devin Johnson

Devin Johnson New Member

i just bought my 4th ranger, but this one had one owner and only 13,750 original miles. It’s a 2002 2.3L I4 5 speed. Anything you guys recommend I should do to it? Want to preserve it for as long as possible but also want to enjoy driving it.should I replace belts or hoses just because of their age?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Take good care of it, drive it like an adult, and don't drive it unless you have to.
    That's the best way I've found to keep any vehicle "nice" for a long period of time.
    Squeeze the hoses (I assume you're talking the radiator and heater hoses) when the engine is cold.
    Do they feel soft and/or "thin"? It should take some effort to squeeze those hoses (radiator more than heater).
    If it doesn't, change the hoses.
    Is the belt making noise just after start up?
    Are there really large cracks on the inside of the belt? (the "toothed" side)
    If yes, change the belt.

….OR....

Just change them out and then you'll be sure. In this case, Minimum of cost buys maximum piece of mind.
    Before you do anything, take a look at the heater core. Is it sitting above or below the top of the head?
    Mine sits above. Had a HELL of a time bleeding the air out of the system (I actually think there's still some air in there).
    Jacked the front end up so high, the rear bumper was sitting on the ground. Ran it with the cap on and off, still took forever to bleed the air out.
    If you trust them and don't mind the price, take the truck to your local Ford dealer and have them give it the once over.
    Even though its an "obsolete" vehicle, in their eyes, they should still know of any service schedules that need applying.

...and post some pics! Let's see this little honey!

Dean