2.3 duratec bell housing bolts

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by bkbonnell, Oct 9, 2020.

1. bkbonnell

bkbonnell New Member

Swapping a 08 2.3 into my 2010 2.3. Its my First swap so learning as i go. Wondering how to get at the top two bellhousing bolts on the 08 2.3 duratec. Intake manifold is stuck on(bottom bolts are rusted) so i cant remove that tell i pull the engine. Ive tried jacking up the rear end of the trans to get abit more clearance up front on the top but that only helped with the upper side bolts. Im using a gantry crane to remove the engine so im unable to get the right angle to pull the trans and motor as one.
    Any help or tips would be appreciated as ive got to pull two motors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

" Ive tried jacking up the rear end of the trans..."

If you're trying to get to the TOP two bolts, you'd want to let the tranny drop DOWN.
    This will, in turn, tip the back of the motor downward and expose the top bellhousing bolts.....hopefully.
    At that point, it will likely take a bunch of extensions and universals to reach those bolts, but at least you'll now be able to reach them.

...and then I had a thought...

Back in the days when I worked on commercial trucks, I found that on early 90's F450's that the cab and front clip were spot welded together on a HUGE flange that ran from one side to the other.
    Made pulling the 5-speeds those things came with a P-A-I-N.
    I found that the spot welds were all near the top of the flange, so I took a cuts-all wheel and an angle head die grinder and cut about 2" out of that flange.
    Clutch job became a breeze!
    Check your truck and see if you don't have that big sheet metal flange, too. If so, check where the spot welds are....you might find room to cut, too.

Dean

bkbonnell likes this.