06+ tails in a '99 stepside

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by SalRanger2, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

What Buggman said.

Auxilary lighting should always be on their own circuit....especially if you're using the right lights for the job. IE 55w and up(I LOVE my four 100W "get off my ass hole lights"). I was referring to using the factory reverse hot as a trigger for the relay on your aux back-ups. IE instead of a manual switch for reverse, your factory back-up power wire will trigger them to turn on.

Or run a 5 pin relay and a secondary switch in-cab so you can a: have them turn on whenever you go in reverse and b: have them turn on anytime you want independently of the trans. (buggman, correct me if I'm wrong. It's been some time since I've dug into wiring that's a little more indepth than just straight up aux circuits. lol)

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea srry thats what i was trying to say lol. ive been checking out some lights that i think will work good. looking for small rectangular ones. just have to figure out where id mount them where you cant see them.

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

The KC Hilites back-up lights are pretty decent and decently priced and come with a decent harness as well. Also come with small brackets to help ya mount 'em. I had them mounted to brackets that bolted to the factory bumper bracket mounts on the frame. I ran those until I spent the same money on four 100w converted $5 rubber housing tractor implement lights. The bulbs themselves were $14 ea. lol.

Can't really get away with those on something not kinda large though. My truck's kinda large. PAR 36 based tractor lights from CarQuest. Pictured below are just two on my rack and my buddy's has 4. I now I have four in the same spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

By all means, you don't need to spend $100 on back ups. Just hit up WalMart or something for a pair of compact 35w or 55w lights for $20-30.

6. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Here's my secondary reverse lights.
    I have them controlled by an OEM fog switch in the radio bezel using one of my fog conversion kits.
    There are 100w "xenon hid" white h3 bulbs in them now & they're crazy bright. I had the stock 35w white bulbs & they were probably bright enough, but I had the extra 100w bulbs. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lights were probably less than $20 a pair & I've seen similar lights both oval & round at wally world for about $20-$25.

7. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

cool thanks for the ideas guys! ill have to check ol wally world sometime, they usually always have something there

8. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

picked up some lights at the swap meet today, HELLAS!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Nice! low profile... what bulbs are in there? they don't look like h3's.

10. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

i have no clue ha, i believe they are hella FF75 series lights. 55 watt i think

11. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

probably gonna buy some tails tonight, the bulb/plug just fits in the tail light housing without moddifying it right?

12. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well just ordered some lol, new ones off ebay, $58 shipped new!

13. That's not a bad deal!

14. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea! there supposed to be like oem i believe so brand new in box kinda deal. it was like a autoparts merchandiser on there, top rated so hopefully itl work out

15. It should. Gonna look sweet dude

16. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thanks man i think so too, especially with those hellas. gonna do the three way switch too

17. Nice. Hide the lights though, mount em to the frame or something so they're not as noticeable

18. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea definitely, was thinking of cutting holes in the bumper so they fit in them but doing that would be better with different lights. plus with these even mounted further back underneath are still gonna light **** up lol

19. Oh yeah lol

20. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

got them today!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

ok so ive got one question, i got the stuff to wire these up, will a 30 amp relay and 30 amp inline fuse from the battery work for these lights i picked up?