Working on my under-dash lighting...

Discussion in 'Interior' started by 00redranger, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 00redranger

00redranger New Member

Finally making use of these boards after 5-6 years of holding onto them.

Here's the board print (mspaint version)

[​IMG]

Beginning:
    [​IMG]

Soldered up...

[​IMG]

Here's how I have it wired...

+ signal
    diode
    12v regulator
    6 parallel circuits
    4 3.0-3.2fV suberbright white LEDs in each series

Kinda a teaser as they aren't in my truck yet... Just finished the first one (it's rough since I wanted to mount the 12v regulator on the board, so it took place of the diode's position and the diode is in turn in the + wire coming into the board...

Pic taken in a light kitchen
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

What is it for?

4. Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

You didn't read the title? :)

5. ob269

ob269 New Member

Lol I thought the same thing ^^ silly Clinton. Why you no read?

6. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

I am going to start production of these in red or white for sale on the forums...

I will let you all know when I have all of my parts in stock to start an initial build.

Initial production concept (plan to spread the design out a bit to disperse the light more)

[​IMG]

7. Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

How about blue too?

8. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

I can do blue as well...

Price may slightly vary depending on the price of LEDs and parts I need to get... some colors cost like 200% as much as white. >_<

Once I get the time to sit down and figure out my costs, I'll post a set cost after building the first few sets.

9. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

This is my first concept layout for the production boards... The LEDs will be more spread out when I actually get around to production layout.. Was just testing how much room I had on my board.

[​IMG]

10. Those would look good under the dash as interior accent lights.... I'm surprised Buggman hasn't hopped onto this idea haha. I'm thinking that one could wire it into the dome light so when that comes on, the floors have light too.

11. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

I actually don't think bugg is going to step on my feet on this one...

I have been talking to him quite a bit about them actually :p

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I can't read too well, so I had to ask

13. He would've ripped you a new one if he was gonna haha. I was just saying that I was surprised he hadn't thought of something like this already. Nothing against you stealing ideas haha :thumbup:

14. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

His 3BL/CARGO, ovals, and fender badges take hella time to make. He probably doesn't have time to think anymore. :eek:

I actually have bought a LED 3BL/CARGO and stang dome LED sets from him so far. He makes great products =] :yes:

I am going to assume people are going to probably mount these under-dash setups with zip ties since there's really no easy way to make generic mounts for them to sell along with the boards. :thumbdown:

15. I'll find some way to jerry rig em on. Haha

16. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

Good enough for me! ^_^

Well boys, I am going to finish my second personal board before work tomorrow.

Once I get my resistors in stock, I'll start production on red and white consumer boards.

Have to wait for stock of green, blue, and red LEDs to come in in order to start production on anything but white at this point.

17. Nice. Might take you up on red and white

18. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

Two separate sets?

19. Would it be possible to do them together? Or is that asking too much?

20. OP
    00redranger

00redranger New Member

Sure can :)

You would probably have to run them on two separate switches though.

I smell a relay in your module :p

If we used a relay, we would only have to run one power wire to the module, off of one switch, and we could have it work like this...

Truck running, headlights on, red LEDs are on
    Truck running, flip a dash switch or dome switch, and turn the red off and white on.

Something like that, or you could run them off of two different circuits.

21. Hmmm... I don't really want to go into all that trouble. Well, start out making simple sets for now man. I gotta work up the money for em first haha