Which Bearings?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by RedRanger, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

So I have what seems to a be a front wheel bearing issue and needed some help in pinpointing whether it is the left or right. It is a 2000 Ranger XLT 2WD. The following are the steps and incidents that helped me determine it is a wheel bearing issue. If it could be anything else, please let me know:

1. I bought this vehicle with a very loud road noise. Humming at speeds of 20 mph and higher. No steering vibration.
    2. I assumed it was the tries. Previous owner put a set of Mastercraft Courser A/T. These looked like mud tires. Tread was excellent... less than a year old.
    3. I put the back-end on jack stands and ran the vehicle.... no noise then. I was sure it was the tires on the road.
    4. I bought GY Wrangler HTs all the way around and thought for sure it would solve the issue, but it's still there. Loud as ever. I know wranglers can be loud but didn't think it was this loud.
    5. Steering wheel a little out of alignment... doesn't point straight when tires are straight. No vibration though.
    6. We just got hit real hard in snow and when I ride on packed snow the sound is there. I don't think it's the tires anymore. Don't think loud tires would make that noise on snow.
    7. Just noticed when I am on a left (30mph and above) curve the sound goes away. Straight and right curves the sound is still there. Is this a left bearing or right? I am assuming the left curve puts more weight on the right bearing.... should it make more noise or less in this situation?

So is this the left bearing or right?

Finally... since nothing was wrong with tires after all, I have 2 sets of 4 new tires. I don't plan any off road... just city driving.... which tires are the better of the two?
    1. Mastercraft Courser
    2. Goodyear Wrangler HT

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Teamexploder

Teamexploder Explorer Member

It sounds like your left wheel bearings because when your turning left there's more pressure on the right wheel leaving the left not having so much pressure to cause the bearings to make the noise