What engine should I put in my 91 ranger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1991.ford.ranger, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 1991.ford.ranger

1991.ford.ranger New Member

I have a 91 ranger 4x4 with a 6 inch lift. Its a sick truck but I want my ranger to have more balls but keep the 5 speed stick. its got a 2.9 now but Want to convert it to a v8 and keep the 4 wheel drive standard. Whats a good motor? If its wise to change the tranny that's fine give me help but i'm stuck on keeping a standard trans.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Not sure if you have done anything yet but here is some thoughts.

IMHO there is only one motor that has been tested and true for the fit in a Ranger and it is the FORD 302/5.0L. Performance options for this motor are many, anything you want it is out there.

There are all kind of kit and options for kits and the 5.0L makes a great all around setup.

The trans, I can’t tell you for sure, I used a C4 adapted to my T/C in the ’88/5.0L I did but from what I hear it is a little more difficult to go 5-sp.

If it was me, maybe crawl under an manual trans F150 and check out the engine, trans and T/C length, mounting positions and crossmember and see how that package lines up.
    Driveshafts are an easy fix so don’t worry but maybe get them from which ever engine package you buy.

You might check with Advanced Adapters, they may have input in that area, also James Duff and L&L Products.

L&L Products has really nice kits, they come at every level, headers, mounts, oil filter adapter, oil pan, what ever you need they have a kit but I do not think I have seen a 5-sp called out. L&L has top quality part made of heavy gauge steel, top of the line machining or their oil filter relocation part and their welding is the best too. One problem is they are more expensive than the other but you get what you pay for.

Good Luck