Steering wheel airbag crack

Discussion in 'Interior' started by bigjoe1094, Jul 14, 2013.

1. bigjoe1094

bigjoe1094 New Member

ok guys so i just noticed this today and i was wondering if its safe to still drive around with without being repaired or replaced and if it needs to be either how would i repair/replace it???
    [​IMG]
    its a crack in the wheel where the air bag is

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i wouldnt worry about it just yet...if it gets worse then replace it..just keep in mind an airbag is about 800 bucks from a dealer(only place to get them)

4. OP
    bigjoe1094

bigjoe1094 New Member

o_O ummmm yeah if i have to replace it guess who wont have an airbag

5. djfllmn

its federally mandated...you will get in big **** if you remove it...and if your state has annual inspection you will fail no questions asked...not to mention its a life-saving safety device

6. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

not completely true. i don't have an airbag on the driver side in my 95 after it blew. pass safety inspection each year. it is illegal for a shop to remove one, but the private owner can do anything they want.

i would look on ebay for one. can probably be found for ~$100

7. djfllmn

i know you will fail in PA for lack of an airbag if it blew and wasnt replaced

8. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Here is the official PA state inspection regulations. I am certified in PA for inspections. Have not worked in a garage in quite a while. It was good to read the regulations again. I could not find any mention of airbags. It may be there, but I could not find it. I am pretty certain (from memory. I did not look today) it does say something about warning lights being on. CEI or airbag light is reason to fail. Each inspection mechanic interprets the regulations differently. If he fails it for things that are not in the regulations, you can turn him in. I would not argue with the mechanic. He will just find another reason to fail the vehicle.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

The crack is nothing to worry about. The airbag cover has grooves molded into the underside of it. It is designed to split open at those points when the airbag deploys. That cover is only for looks and will not affect the airbag function in any way.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013