Replaced Key Switch Mechanism

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by greggn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. greggn

greggn New Member

The original with the transponder was getting worn. A combination of the key and the lock after 400K 250,000miles. Was getting near impossible to turn to start. So I replaced with an aftermarket without the transponder. Now it won't start but the dash lights up showing icons I have never seen before. I thought if the original key was on the key chain it would work .I even held the old key against the transponder.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    greggn

greggn New Member

Ordered this at Napa yesterday .... Dorman # 989-711 There is an installation video as well.

4. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

You need to remove the transponder and glue it onto the side of the tumbler, just move around until the engine start. I got tired of spending $$$ on new key, so have to gave up one of the transponder chip and super glued onto he cover next to the ignition key. Looking at the ignition switch with it on the off position, I believe it is about the 3-4 o'clock position.