Radio Bezel in Silver.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Scrambler82, May 13, 2012.

1. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Got the power port outline fixed, sanded and then I decided to use something I kind-of knew would get me into trouble, I used scotch brite to take the shine off of the rest of the bezel so I could try out a darker silver (titanium) paint color.
    Sprayed on the paint looked a little darker than I wanted but I can handle that, sprayed on more paint, let it dry and went back to look. There was a metallic-shag on the lower section. No biggy, right ! started to sand it down to give the clear coat something to bite to and I got a strip of paint in my hands… WTF is this.

Probably the scotch brite got the surface too smooth, nothing for the paint to grab on to.
    Now I need to sand off all of the paint and start agin with a good adhesion primer filler and then repaint.

So to all that use scotch brite in their finishing of paint, why color scotch brite to use or just don’t use it at all ?

My thought from now on do not use scotch brite on a paint job !

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

I use the automotive grade scotch pads all the time for plastic painting. I doubt that it was the problem.
    I have found Bulldog adhesion promoter to work the best. It is designed to use for painting plastics. I use adhesion promoter right on the bare plastic, then the color coat without any standard primer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Is there a difference between the Automotive Scotch Pads and the regular household stuff ?

Never heard of Bulldog paint, will have to look it up.

Thanks..

5. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

6. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Shawn, thanks for the info I will look into it.

Also, I am picking up another SEMS color, a lighter gray titanium.

At $15 bucks a can I hope I can find the right color sooner than later and all of the half empty cans are a PITA to store.

ltr

7. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Here's a tip.
    Use the incorrect shades as basecoats or first coats as you spray. Use the finish color last. This uses up the old stuff and increases the use from the correct color. This works great when you are covering a dark color and need several coats of paint.

8. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Good idea, never thought of that.

Maybe the lighter, first color and then the darker but not too many coats.
    I can alway finish painting later.

Thanks
    Ltr