Oil change

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by 2005RangerGirl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. 2005RangerGirl

2005RangerGirl New Member

Scale of 1-10 is it really hard? 1 easy 10 hard I wanna do it myself and not depend on my dad to do it.

Since this truck is lifted would I still need to use those ramp things?

Best filter and oil to use?

Seller said he always used motorcraft.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Very easy. you wont need ramps. Get the motorcraft filters and motorcraft 5w30 synthetic at Walmart. I give it a 2 on the easy scale. You'll be fine!

4. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

its really easy i agree with the motorcraft i always get motorcraft filter and oil. im small and was able to do my truck thats not lifted at all without jacking it up. just make sure you follow all the steps. ill also give it a 2.

5. OP
    2005RangerGirl

2005RangerGirl New Member

2 and you are guys, so maybe 4 for a girl?

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It doesnt matter. As long as you have common sense and know how to loosen and tighten a bolt, you'll be at a 2

7. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

It might actually be easier for you since I bet your more flexible than me. The only part I had trouble with was reaching my filter because I didn't hack it up.

8. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

The hardest part of changing the oil is remembering what size wrench the drain plug is haha. I still have trouble with it I always have to take like 4-5 wrenches under there with me. After that its the oil filter. I use stp filters and valvoline oil but its always a better idea to go with oe parts when possible.

9. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

lol this, mine is like inbetween metric and standard idk wtf lol.

u definitely wont need the ramps, i can do my 2/3 drop truck with no jack :D.

personally i use motorcraft filter and castrol gtx conventional, but whatever you use just stick with it id say. castrol is cheap at wally world!

10. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Easy !
    Filter,is always the hardest.
    I get mine from the top, seemed easier.

Heat the engine.
    Take out the drain plug.
    Let the oil drain while engine is still hot.
    Change the filter after things have cooled a little.
    Put in the correct oil.
    Run the engine and watch for the pressure to come up.

11. M-CO

M-CO New Member

Are you worried about getting oil on your hands? :p It's pretty easy. Just drain oil and put new oil in along with unscrewing a filter and screwing a fresh one back on in it's place (make sure you have the new filter on BEFORE putting new oil in, and make sure you leave the old one in until you have the oil drained out).

12. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

The hardest part for me is letting it drip, drip and get rid of the used oil..