how to tell engine size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Jul 9, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

is there a way to tell which engine a truck has by looking on the outside of it? im looking for the difference between the 4.0 and 3.0. does the emblem with the leaf mean its a 3.0? thanks for any help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Years??

Decoding the VIN# will definitively tell you engine size. 8th digit... U = 3.0. X = 4.0 OHV. E = 4.0 SOHC.

If it's got a leaf on the tailgate, the leaf emblem means flex fuel, which also means 3.0. No other flex engine was available on the American Ranger. I believe 3.0's have valve covers which say "3.0 V6" molded into the plastic on newer models. Older models have some really neat looking aluminum valve covers that say "3.0 V6".

I believe newer 4.0L OHV's have "4.0L OHV" molded to the top of the plastic intake. Older models have aluminum intakes without any labels.

4.0L SOHC replaced the OHV in 2001. The blantantly obvious engine cover says "4.0L SOHC". But those can easily be removed. Other visual identifications include a short intake tube(in comparison with the other engines), a sticker on the side of the driver's side valve cover with info, really wide 10" or so aluminum heads. I know this one fairly well and can go on for days on it's visuals but I'm choosing not to. lol.

Hopefully this helps.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks a lot that will help me in my truck search.

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

the leaf emblem is also 3.0 only, but only on '00 and newer 3.0 trucks. it means you can run E85 flex fuel.

edit: whoops i missed this above...

6. Glenn Garcia

Glenn Garcia New Member

Decoding the VIN# will definitively tell you engine size. 8th digit... U = 3.0. X = 4.0 OHV. E = 4.0 SOHC.
    I tried to go off this but on my 02 the 8th letter is V. What is that supposed to be?