Future of the Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Administrator Staff Member

Well, the ranger has had the same design for a while now and I think a redesign is due. I think there is going to be a growing market for smaller trucks as gas prices go back up and are still high.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. balage

balage the Hungarian

Hm...

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Nathan

Wow, the ranger looks pretty bad in that shot. What country is that Tacoma from? Looks totally different than the US version.

5. balage

balage the Hungarian

European Toyota Hilux, with 2,5 commonrail diesel 120hp and with 3,0crdiesel with 177hp (landcruiser engine).
    European Ranger has 2,5 crtd too with 143hp and 3,0 drtd with 156 hp.

6. Nathan

Are large trucks rare in Europe for personal use or are they just as popular as small trucks? Here in Texas everything is an F150 or larger it seems.

7. balage

balage the Hungarian

Absolut different world.
    The gas engine in a truck=craziness. Or just a bohemian thing. (ok I need to be a bohemian :D)
    Here the gas is $4.05/gallon. (not in dollar, and not in gallon, I converted)
    It's not a funny game. If you are working, you need the 20% getback tax in the diesel price.
    I like the diesel fullsize too, but a fullsize in here is like a bull in china shop.
    My buddy had a F350 with 7,3 TD. Uhh. it was hard. The streets are narrow (one rear view mirror lost), the parkin place are shorts+narrow. The parking house...LOL
    So if you have fullsize here, you are rich and crazy.

Hm, I need one. :rolleyes:

8. Tonya Gilmore

Tonya Gilmore New Member

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I used to be told I was like a bull in a china shop when I was little lol

9. balage

balage the Hungarian

Be careful! It's a concept. (you know the Ranger Max)
    Do you remember this:
    [​IMG]

I expected than the messiah. The 2006 model arrived next. Similar, similar but not like that.

10. Nathan

Man, I love the Rims on that. I like that concept.

11. Nathan

Where did you find that concept pic? I wish they would have made it.

12. balage

balage the Hungarian

This is not a fresh thing. This was the concept the 2006 Thai Ranger. that's why I wrote, it's similar, similar but it's not that.

13. Nathan

Yea, I realized that after I posted it. But I like that old concept better than the new one.

14. balage

balage the Hungarian

Ditto.

15. kdavis21

kdavis21 KDAVIS21

Ford has a Ranger Thunder in Europe right now that has a 3.0L turbo diesel in it.

16. Nathan

Welcome to the site!

17. balage

balage the Hungarian

Yes.
    I have the old turbodiesel (sipmle turbo, 3valve/cylinder, mechanic feeder with 109 hp & 191ft lbf. (ok now it's 133hp & 244 ft lbf after little ECU rewrititng;) and i have stock turbopress..yet)
    The new commonrail with 2,5 l with 4 valve/cylinder, variable turbo is 143 hp and 244 ft lbf.
    The other commonrail with 3.0 lis 156hp and 280 ft lbf. It has just automatic shifter.

18. OP
    Jon

Jon Administrator

It would be so nice if we could get some of those diesels over here. I'm assuming such strict pollution/admission laws are keeping them out!

19. balage

balage the Hungarian

It's interesting thing. The 2.5 commonrail has 26,1 mpg, for examle the 4.0 has...i don't know 14(?) mpg. Which is the green engine?

ok I know the soot...

20. OP
    Jon

Jon Administrator

Exactly. diesel gets so much better mpg and the torque that the engine puts out is sweet.

I've heard that the emissions they put out is a lot better these days...

21. BillS

BillS New Member

I have looked at the Asian Fords - some real good ideas - a good diesel. But I never have liked the extended cabs and 4 doors - they cut the cargo bed capacity or make the thing so long you need a football field to turn around. Sort of like trying to make a car out of a truck. The long bed regular cab Ranger is a great all-around truck and it would be a shame if Ford messed with it - it has been a standard for 25 years. The Australians have Cab and Chassis Rangers in their line-up. That would be a great move here, as I, for one, use a Reading aluminum utility body that I move from Ranger to Ranger as I replace them (with very little modification needed- I know pest control guys, veterinarians. farriers and others do that too.