Chirp of death

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by 01B3000, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Alright, I think im getting it, even if it isnt it, im replacing the part anywyas.

But anywyas, I hear what seems to be a rough squealing, almost grinding sound, when i start the truck cold.

Ill take a video later. What is entailed, I watched a video which helped a little on it, but want to double check everything.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Where's it coming from? If it's from the front of the engine, dont worry about it. If it's from the rear....get it changed immediately!

4. OP
    01B3000

Its the rear, because at first i thought it was my starter hanging up. Im working on changing it ASAP, I need to get my paycheck though, I hear the parts like 200.

5. Brinker88

Most expensive one on RockAuto's like $90.00 plus the ride. Make sure it comes with the alignment tool.

6. OP
    01B3000

Did not know that, and I have a discount code too. Sweet.

It will be ordered the end of the week probably. C'mon paycheck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. Brinker88

Camshaft position sensor I believe it was. Type in camshaft and click the green where it says "engine" It will show you a picture of it. It looks like the end of a dizzy (distributor). Again, I repeat, make sure it has the alignment tool with it.

8. OP
    01B3000

I found it, its under Ignition.

For 16 Bucks, should i just pick up a new sensor as well?

But Yea, im gonna get the motorcraft one, I gotta call and ask if it comes with one, or Ill go out and get one.

9. Brinker88

The sensor comes with it bud.

Part #

or

30S2600

Both come with the sensor

10. OP
    01B3000

Thank You Brad. I will be ordering when I get home.

11. Brinker88

No problem bro.

12. gcextreme

gcextreme GCEXTREME Vendor

Anyone have a video/sound clip of the Chirp of Death???
    I am curious, and want to keep my ears open for it on my truck.
    Also, does the 4.0s have this? I talked to a guy with a 4.0 and he said his cam sync was going out and had a CEL light on.

Thanks

13. OP
    01B3000

Only the OHV 4.0s I believe

14. gcextreme

gcextreme GCEXTREME Vendor

No I know the 3.0 have the cam sync thing and can get the chirp.
    When I had my new rebuilt motor put it, two days later I gota CEL, took the truck back, and mechanic said it was the cam sync, it wasn't positioned right, it must have been 1 tooth off.
    He fixed it, or so he thought. I came back the next day, same problem. He said it must be faulty, he ordered a new one, and installed it a few days later. I even got to keep the old one, its in a bag in my garage.

But I can't specifically remember the chirp sound. Lol