94 4.0 won't start very intermittent spark

Discussion in 'Engine Tech' started by 9440a4ld, Sep 1, 2014.

1. 9440a4ld

9440a4ld New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of at a loss, I have a 1994 Ranger 4.0 4x2 that has been in the family since new.

It had some issues, and sat in the garage for a while. The battery died, and I used the "start" feature on my cheapie Harbor Freight battery charger to jump it. Well the truck never started after that, so I decided to let the battery charge for a few hours and try again. It still wouldn't start, so I grabbed one of the plug wires, yanked it off, put a clean plug in it and checked for spark. there was no spark.... Checked the other wires, same thing.

Unfortunately, using the start feature fried the powertrain control module. I threw parts at it hoping to resolve the issue.

Ignition control module
    Powertrain control module
    Coil pack
    checked all fuses and relays.

all seems to be ok.

Now there is very intermittent spark. There's no specific sequence in the irraddic spark that I am receiving when trying to start the truck. Do any of you fine people have any ideas?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

check your inline fuse to the ECU? There is a fuse build into the cable. I would also inspect the crank sensor, mounted right in front of the crank pulley. If you have oil leak, thats the lowest spot on the truck. I would clean the connection or replace new sensor and clean the connector.