4.6L engine v8

Discussion in 'Other Engines' started by Diabolical Ranger, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ...................

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

the 4.6 gets very similar MPG compared to the 5.4...i know a couple people that have the 4.6 in an F150 and that motor is too small for the truck...its like the 3.0 vs the 4.0 in the ranger lol...go with the 5.4 lol

4. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

i had a 98 f150 with a 4.6, i liked it. it pushed the truck good. the 5.4s suck gas like a mofo. with my 4.6 auto i could get like 19 easy in the summer with a hard tonneau on once i remember 20.x was my top mpg. winter was like 14/15ish. thats normal driving too, mixed.
    only problem with them and the 5.4 is the exhaust manifold studs rust out since they are steel and pretty small. then they rust off, leak and warp the manifold... but it might not be a problem in your climate

5. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

honestly though, unless youll be heavy pulling alot, go with the 5.4

6. djfllmn

i love my 5.4 lol

7. .....................

8. djfllmn

haha craig...i know the feeling

9. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Go with the 5.4L. Similar mpg and 100 more horses! I drove a 2 dr short bed 2wd 4.6 and it was a dog! Even with that small truck. Youll like the 5.4 a lot better and theres a much larger aftermarket

But if its cheap, get it! Its still a V8 and would prolly outrun a 4.0 Ranger lol

10. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Depends what years 5.4 youre looking at 1997-2003 5.4L had quite few reliability problems from what I understand. My parts guy has only owned f150s since the 70s and had many 5.4 and 4.6l and he prefers the 4.6L pre 2004 and 5.4L at 2004+

11. ......................

12. djfllmn

holy brodozer lol

13. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

14. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

wow just re read this, i meant to say 4.6 lol

15. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

damn that lariat is nice!! what year is it? out of the 04-08 bodystyle i remember reading the 04 was one to avoid by consumer reports. but whatever that means

16. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

17. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thats a great deal id say! lol nahh, plus you could probably sell those wheels and tires, then buy a better set and still have some cash left!

18. djfllmn

and the lariats came only with the 5.4