1993 4.0 hesitation until full throttle

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by john tyson, Mar 10, 2020.

1. john tyson

john tyson New Member

I have a manual 4.0 ranger without egr. Dang truck idles good, no vacuum leaks. New wires and plugs. When I take off cold, the truck seems to bog down until I punch the throttle then it comes to life. After driving a couple of miles it's fine. No engine codes

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Clean your MAS (sensor right next to the air box) and replace you idler air control, the cylinder thing on the throttle body.

4. OP
    john tyson

john tyson New Member

I did replace both. Runs alot better now, but I know have fuel pressure issues. After sitting a while, I have to crank a few times before it stays running. Fuel pump is running but pressure is low for the first couple of key cycles. Will be changing pump this week. Also replacing rotten fuel filler hose.

5. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Just a simple trick I learned, remove 6 bolts holding the bed to the frame and lift the bed and use a jack to lift the bed up just enough to remove the fuel pump. Don't forget the filter (fuel filter) need to be replace.

6. OP
    john tyson

john tyson New Member

Thanks. I have an overhead wench in my shop roof. Never had good luck with Fords or fuel pumps.