Will a '97 M50R2 trans bolt up to a '98 2.5 ford engine?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by stillwater, Sep 11, 2017.

1. stillwater

stillwater New Member

I have a 98 XLT 2WD that one day will get a 5.0 engine and all-wheel drive via an Explorer/Mountaineer drivetrain swap. Right now I have a 2.5 with 220,000+ miles on it and it needs a trans swap. Currently has a used up 4R44E automatic. Getting the M50R2 hoping I don't have to buy a different trans now, and that one later. Trying to save $$$$.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    stillwater

stillwater New Member

Never mind, got the answers and insights from a different forum.

4. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

...mind letting us know what you found out?.....please?....

5. OP
    stillwater

stillwater New Member

An M50R1 will work on the 2.3/2.5 Lima engines, but not the M50R2. But it will bolt up to the 5.0 that will eventually find its way under my hood.

DeanMk likes this.
  6. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Rigth on. Thanks for the confirmation. :cool:

7. Maxken

Maxken New Member

Sure it will fit, you may have to build your own crossmember, or swap one from a different year/model truck, but it will probably be a good deal better than a 700R4