What year is this?

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by e.andersen, Jan 14, 2012.

1. e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

Ok, I know I'll sound dumb, but I'm looking at this truck tomorrow to possibly get my first car and he says it's a 1998 but the headlights look like a 1997. Which is it? It has leaf springs in the back in another picture, I don't know if that narrows it down.

[​IMG]

It seems like a decent deal, but let me get your opinions on that, too.

It's a 2.5L, 5 speed
    He says he has receipts for:
    New motor with 80,000
    New trans with <80,000
    New Master/slave cylinders
    New clutch
    New battery
    New inner/outer wheel bearings
    and "some other things he can't remember right now"

He said it's like a 300,000 mile truck, so I was thinking about swapping out the suspension for new parts so I would have a completely new truck, in essence.
    Does $1600 seem like a good price?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. greenmachine2000

greenmachine2000 New Member

4. 00redranger

00redranger New Member

It's a good price at $1,600 but I'd still try to talk him down to $1,400 or so.

Pick through that truck with a fine-tooth comb. My 94 I bought was a fricken basket case.

Check every fluid for color and smell, including the trans, rear end, oil, coolant, clutch master (dot 3), brake fluid.

Look for signs of leaks from ANYTHING including rear axle seals, rear wheel cylinders, rear pumpkin (diff), transmission, hoses, motor, etc.

Bring a flashlight.

Look for tears in the interior, how does the headliner look.

Just things to ask yourself when making the investment.

5. OP
    e.andersen

e.andersen New Member

I appreciate the info. Are there anythings from that generation that you can think of as a definite sign to walk away?

6. 00redranger

00redranger New Member

Well from the pictures you posted it doesn't look rough, but you'll have to make that determination in person.

Check the rear leaf spring hangers and make sure they're not rusted through, check the cab mounts, check for a lot of rust anywhere, make sure all the options work, make sure the tailgate works, make sure it runs well.

Rust is the main killer, then leaks, then options (like A/C.)