what is a cheap way to get more power

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by RichteRanger, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RichteRanger

RichteRanger New Member

i have a 1994 ranger with a 2.3 and it just aint got the power id like so i was look for a cheap way to get sum power and be safe for my truck

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Aftermarket performance intake or cold air intake. Usually ranges around the $150 mark. Also, high flow catalytic converters and headers and performance muffler.

4. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

you drive a 4 cylinder. get a turbo kit, but be prepared to spend some dough.

other than that, you can re-gear it to the moon for a false sense of power.

5. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

There isn't really any "cheap" way of gettin more power. You should start with a tuner then an exhaust followed by an intake. Other than gettin a turbo kit, these upgrades will be your best bet.

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

5.0 swap

7. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Agreed lol.

There is no "real" way to make HP for Rangers. You can go turbo or supercharged but they arnt cheap... youd be lookin at $5000+ if you do it yourself. But the easiest way to gain HP and some MPG is the big 3: get air in (cold air intake), get it out (better exhaust), and make it agree with the computer (tuner). Even this isnt cheap. Youd be lookin at closer to a grand for all this

8. doyouquaxu

$5000? you must buy your parts from the gold factory...

9. El Camino Man

Alright, show me one for cheaper lol

10. doyouquaxu

11. El Camino Man

Alright, ya got me there lol. You can get a used one from a junkyard for next to nothing. I got a supercharger system (including intercooler and pumbing) off a Supercoupe for $66

12. 94Reborn

94Reborn New Member

On my 94, we ran an electric fan, a jetchip, custom intake piping, custom high flow exhaust from manifold back, ac compressor bypass, and a lower temp thermostat, and I'd say the increases were noticeable but not by much, and probably cost around 500 all said and done. When everyone says theres not much to be had, they really mean it. I'm working on a 4.0 swap into mine right now, and I paid 200 for the complete motor with 100k on it, 345 for the 5 speed, and I'll probably spend another 500 on parts (headers, motor mounts, etc.). So for around the 1,000 dollar mark, I'll go from 110 horses to about 175. Thats the best bang for the buck if you have the time and skill.

13. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Thread closed OP will no longer be getting on RF.net

14. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Well, for all you who want a lil more out of your 2.3-2.5 there is a simple free mod.. Take the wires from the secondary coil pack ( running to the drivers side) and put them from order 4-2 (top) 1-3 (bottom) and put them in order 1-3-4-2 this will give you both plugs firing at the same time
    Resulting in a more efficient burn ! Which results in a increase in power and fule Eco .

4-2. To 1-3
    1-3. To 4-2

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  15. El Camino Man

Whats the reason for his banning if I may ask

16. Freemans 00

not banned he just doesnt get on I go to class with the guy trust me when I say hes not getting on anymore

17. El Camino Man

Ahh gotcha. Any reason why lol. Is it the site or just personal stuff?

18. Freemans 00

He forgets his password and information and to damn lazy to get on here lol but on the plus side hell be helping install my visor next weekend

19. El Camino Man

O ic. Not tryin to be nosy... jus wonderin lol

20. Freemans 00

its good bro lol

21. Swamp Rat

Swamp Rat Swamp Rat

I got a 97 ranger with a 3.0 and wanna put a chip in it. Any ideas where i can get one