What Does "Edge" Mean?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by El Camino Man, Feb 13, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hello everyone! WhileI was looking at buying a truck before I got my Ranger, I saw some Ranger Edges. What makes an Edge special? They look like a regular XLT or Sport? No fancy wheels or tires or skid plates. Just some decals.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ob269

ob269 New Member

I'm not sure what all it gives you, but I do believe that the 2wd edges got tbar suspensions..

4. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

the edge is the same thing as a sport

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Edge models have: Cloth & Vinyl seats unique to Edge models, color matched and smoothed front and rear bumpers, color matched and smoothed flares(if styleside), plastic/vinyl flooring instead of carpeting, all Edges(even 2wd) have the same raised 'powerdome' hood as the XLT 4x4's as well as the same grille and same style bumper with fogs. The non-power optioned trucks have basic door panels that are carried over from the XL models. XLT's w/o power options got nicer door panels iwth map pockets. And, as far as I know, the 2wd edges all came with torsion bar suspensions, which made lowering them more difficult.

Ford has the Edge model as one step down of XLT, one step up from XL. But in all reality, they are basically the same truck...they can be equipped the exact same options as an XLT.

6. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

think of the edge/sport as a 2wd version of the 4x4 ranger.

7. OP
    El Camino Man

Makes sense. But they did make some 4x4 models lol. So a 4x4 Edge is the exact same thing as a 4x4 XLT essentially

8. But with painted bumpers

9. OP
    El Camino Man

Mines got painted bumpers lol

10. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Then yours is most likely an edge.

11. OP
    El Camino Man

But it doesnt say Edge lol

12. Your truck's just a misfit. Haha

13. OP
    El Camino Man

Lol its just a little confused...

14. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Lol the sports also come with painted bumpers.... But a sport xlt is top of the line now since the edge was discontinued ( years before the ranger was lol )

15. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

like Pete's $exuality :p

haha just kidding Pete :thumbup:

16. VH5150

VH5150 PLAY FAST, WEAR STRIPES.

The Edge model disappeared from the Ranger line when Ford introduced the Edge Crossover, I believe in '06 or '07. After that, the Ranger Edge became the Sport.
    MikeR

17. Rangeredgewhite

Rangeredgewhite Ranger>Tacoma

the edge is the same as the new 4x4 sport (suspension) just without 4x4

18. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

This may have been answered but I didn't bother to read the other posts....

Edge package came into light beginning in the 2001 model year and ended in the 2005 model year and was replaced by the Sport in 2006. In terms of Base model to Fully Loaded, this model was mid range placed between the XL and the XLT. Aimed towards young new car buyers. Many TV or Magazine ads featured Motocross Bike sports as part of the Edge advertising campaign.

Edge package included:
    • Available in both Reg Cab and Extended Cab(2dr or 4dr), both 4x4 and 2wd
    • Edge 2wd had 4x4 suspension under it, similar to the Toyota Tacoma Prerunner trucks. Essentially, lookwise, it was a 4x4 without a front axle or transfer case
    • ALL Edges had the same engine trans offerings as the 4x4 XLT trucks: 3.0L or 4.0L, 5spd manual or 5spd Auto
    • ALL Edges featured the same exterior parts as the XLT 4x4, but with enhancements specific to the Edge model. Things like body colored bumpers and flares. In 04-05 models, Edges got a color-matched grille surround
    • Foglights
    • Vinyl floor
    • An audio enhanced model was introduced called the Tremor in '00. All '01+ Tremor models were built on an Edge platform

That's the gist of it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  19. dixie_boysles

dixie_boysles New Member

Yours is not an edge, they stopped making edges in 2005, and changed them back to their previous name of "Sport". The Edge/Sport package is basically an appearance package that consisted of no chrome, color matched bumpers, color matched fender flares (no flares on steppies), vinyl floors, t-bar suspension (even for 4x2s). That's basically it. As with all sport models across the auto industry, it was made to look a little sportier than the regular XLTs which usually had no flares and chrome bumpers. They did come in either 4x4 or 4x2.

The reason your truck has painted bumpers is also in 06+, ford stopped making chrome bumpers for Rangers to cut cost since now the bumpers are made like cars where they have bumper "covers".

20. OP
    El Camino Man

That explained everything! Thanks guys! Now I know. I had always wondered.

21. EDGE= Extreme Driver Gets Enough