Transmission Problem :(

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Whippersnapper, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Whippersnapper

Whippersnapper New Member

I know, I'm probably to going to get told to search the forums for this, but I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0L with the 4speed auto. It seems to be slipping from 2nd-3rd, and I've searched it up and it seems to be a common problem with the solenoid, but I've also seen many cases where the tranny has blown within 2-3 months. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so how has the solenoid change made a difference? Any help would be awesome. I love this truck and I can't afford another one. By the way, it has 127,500 km on it.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Rangerak

Rangerak New Member

Just curious, have you kept up with your transmission maintenance schedule? My own experience with automatics over time is good maintenance helps ward off trouble most of the time. I have changed filters and fluid and things started working well again. I know this probably is not much of an answer to the specifics but just a thought.

4. Teamexploder

Teamexploder Explorer Member

I would try to change the transmission fluid and filter but put in another tranny solenoid while you have the pan down.

5. OP
    Whippersnapper

Whippersnapper New Member

Thats the thing, I bought this truck at an auction, and it didn't have maintainence records with it. So I don't know if its had a transmission overhaul, but I doubt it. Has anyone else had this happen?